Is now really the best time to buy PC - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 06-26-2005, 09:50 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Is now really the best time to buy PC

O.K. pardon me if I am just rambling or having not developed my ideas completely.

Here are my thoughts. The PS3 is getting released soon and from what I hear the technology is going to be a radical improvement with dual processor and special designed video card etc. PC gamers may not want to admit this but, but all the gurus design games for the consoles. So if the new games are PS3’s modified for PC or at least the new game design concepts are implemented for PC game then wouldn’t my PC purchase today be obsolete. (more so than usual) I am talking changes as radical as AGP to PCI obsolete. I don’t want a console to have better graphics than my PC. Don’t want to upgrade a new killer machine as early as just one year if I am willing or should wait. What are your thoughts?

Old 06-26-2005, 10:16 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master Techie

PS3 might be better when it coems out, but PCs will pwn it in a couple of months. Consoles sit still for 5 yeaars while PCs advance

-AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Winchestor
-MSI K8N Neo4-F
-Sapphire Radeon X850 XT
-2x 1024 Corsair XMS Pro

<form action=\"http://www.srsyo.org/tfsearch.php\" method=\"get\">
<input type=\"text\" name=\"search\"><input type=\"submit\" name=\"submit\" value="Search!"></form> Search TF before you post!
Old 06-26-2005, 11:04 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master Techie

well what when the ps4 comes out by that logic you will never buy a pc while a console comes out thats better, the consoles always jump ahead but it takes them 3 years to make up all the money they lose on the technology as its more advanced. PC's always catch up and then overtake when the price comes down.

Id say buy a pc but wait 6 months or so for the AMD x2 dul core to come down in price and to see how the 7800 graphics card does and if theres any new developments. But dont wait for ever just put money aside every now and then so you can upgrade bit by bit with the times.
Old 06-26-2005, 11:13 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via AIM to beedubaya

Just look at what happened with the PS2....when it came out, nothing could touch it, and the graphics were stunning. Less than a year later, the PC surpassed it graphically, and in 2 years, the graphics looked like crap compared to what was being offered on the PC.

The advantage to consoles is they are cheap and disposable. You buy one, use it for 5 years, throw it away, buy another one. With PCs, upgrades and maintenance is needed, plus the initial cost is much more. The PC though is a much more capable and versatile machine.
Old 06-26-2005, 11:26 AM   #5 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Ya, and with 2 R520's in crossfire and mabey an FX-57 or dual core 4800+ with 2x 15k rpm scsi drives in raid 0, i think that would be better than the ps3. right? If I recall, the video card in the PS3 is actually going to be a toned down version of the R520.
Old 06-26-2005, 11:43 AM   #6 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Well currently PC's rip consoles a new one. By the time the PS3 comes out, the R520 will be out for ATi. Which I think is going to be a shift in graphics and performance quality that no one has seen to date. Not only that, CPU's are getting less expensive and next year will utilize 64-Bit technology on Longhorn. I doubt the consoles will be worth the $400 they are and the rumored $70/game. Just my 2 cents.
1GB DDR2 SDRAM
Windows XP/Mac OSX 10.5

No longer a Guru of games...
Old 06-26-2005, 11:53 AM   #7 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Ya, and I read somewhere that a single R520 scores over 10K in 3dmark05, but I don't remember where I saw that, does anybody else have that article? Oh, and don't forget about those physics processors and x-fi audio chips that are just around the corner as well.
Old 06-26-2005, 12:45 PM   #8 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

I don't know if it's a good time to buy a PC or not. I don't think it will matter, prices will stay the same. Build one. I wish I did.

It's true about the consoles pwn at first, but then it doesn't take long for the PC's to catch up, then pass it up. The only advantage for consoles is that you never need to update them, and that saves a lot of money, but then buying a $50 game many times, that evens out the price vs a PC.

I was initially going to get a PS3, but now I'd rather get a gaming PC. Playing online games on PC is way better than consoles, in my opinion. There might be one game on console that's good, but that's about it. (I'd say now Socom II is really fun, and Socom 3 will be good too). The new Perfect Dark Zero on X360 looks fun, but with BF2 and HL2/Source who cares.

There's my ten cents.
Old 06-26-2005, 01:49 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Techie

owning both a gaming PC and xbox and ps2, I have to say my gaming needs depend on who is over and what I am doing.

Personally, I will be buying the xbox 360 and not a ps3. Its a loyalty thing. HOwever, I will also put the money into my PC as well.

I really only play consoles when people are over hanging with a few beers. I hate playing by myself and not willing to pay for xbox live. PC gaming is a way better experience for certain games.

in my opinion, First person shooters on console suck. Racing games are more fun on console. and there is yet to be a good fighting game or platform game for PC, so console takes it there.

Different needs, different systems.
Old 06-26-2005, 02:07 PM   #10 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

PC's always get better, everyday. It's always a bad time to buy one

1GB DDR2 SDRAM
Windows XP/Mac OSX 10.5

No longer a Guru of games...
Closed Thread