notebook cpu speed differences?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pearldrum944

Solid State Member
I was wondering what is up with notebook processor speeds and prices. I have a Compaq 2199us notebook that has an AMD athlon 2800+ that runs at 2.12 ghz. Why is it that some more expensive laptops run slower? Like the HP dv1170us. It runs at 1.6 ghz and is twice as expensive as what I paid. Can someone explain the difference?

Maybe the slower one has more ram, a dvd burner and some other features that the cheaper and faster ones dont. Also take a look at the warranty.

i think i know what he means the new lap tops i was looking at, at best buy were very very expensive and the most expensive one had an Intel Centrino 1.8Ghz Processor. So for the money why such a slow processor? or is it faster for some reason or another?

the Centrino's are designed to use very little power, if it were a 1.6GHZ Pentium 4, it would use up much more power

also what Echo_ said, an Athlon 1.6GHZ is not the same as a Pentium 4 1.6GHZ

Yeah I was wondering that. My laptop is a Mobile AMD 64bit 3200+ but it says that it runs at 638Mhz - Whats up with that and would it be just as fast as a desktop 3200+?

DyNaStY336 said:
i think i know what he means the new lap tops i was looking at, at best buy were very very expensive and the most expensive one had an Intel Centrino 1.8Ghz Processor. So for the money why such a slow processor? or is it faster for some reason or another?

There's really no such thing as a Intel Centrino Processor. Intel Centrino is a combination of technology that optimizes mobile productivity.

The 1.8GHz CPU that you are refering to is the Pentium M. It was designed from scratch to provide better performance with less power consumption. The clock frequency of a Pentium M cannot be direcly compared to that of any other processors. For example, a Pentium M 1.6GHz, like I have in my laptop, is said to have comparable performance to a Pentium 4 3.06GHz. The 1.8 is compared to the 3.2 or 3.4 (I can't remember exactly).

The reason is very similar to the reason that AMD's run at lower clock frequencies than (most) Intels, yet have higher performance than clock speed would seem to dictate -- A difference in architecture. Also, the Pentium M's have 2mb of L2 cache, which no doubt improves performance and increases price.

The fact that they all have 2mb cache and can be purchased for so cheap compared to other Pentiums with 2mb cache really amazes me. I mean, if you go from a P4 with 1mb cache, to one with the same clock but 2mb cache, the price goes up hundreds of dollars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom