Notebook Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

th3_choos3n_on3

Solid State Member
OK guys hows it hangin. Well i never introduced myself. My name is DJ. That is all i gotta say about that.

I was wondering if you guys could help opn an issue I have. Well basically i am thinking about purchasing a notebook computer and i was wondering what would you guys recommend on me getting. First of all I need a laptop where I can burn movies and have no problem doing it. And also need good space especially if you are burning DVD's. Newayz I need to know which brand you think I should look into. Like Sony, HP. That's the two I am thinking about right now. I also need it to be able to connect to a television if i need a bigger screen to watch something when im ouyt on a trip i would like to be able to do so. Thank You.

Well, I will start out with my first word of advise when it comes to Notebook Computer.

Always check under the hood!

Please make sure that the processor is a MOBILE processor, and not a DESKTOP Processor.

Desktop CPU in a notebook enviroment are nothing but trouble.
* Over heating issue making the notebook hot. Down to point where they can melt the chassis.
* Over heating issue shortening the actual life span of the notebook componants.
* Shortened Battery Life. I have yet to see a notebook with a desktop CPU last more that 2 1/2 hours.
* Overall shortened Battery life as you will be needing to recharge more offen. There is this one brand that i sell (not proudly) where I am constantly replacing the batteries with in the warranty period as they just suddenly died.

Who are you buying it from?

I find that it better to buy a notebook computer from a computer store, and not a retail chain.
It's not just for the better service and/or advice. It because the some of the retails chains have enough buying power to go up to the manufacturers, (Eg. HP-COMPAQ, TOSHIBA.) and arrange special build which is much a cheaper than the Dealer Channel.
Two Examples :-

ONE
Retail giant "Harvey Norman" managed to get a special build of a Toshiba Satellite A10 PSA10A-05HUM. It was much cheaper than the price i could get it at. However, the difference was DESKTOP CPU.

TWO
A freind of mine got himself a Compaq Persario from "Harvey Norman". Comes standard with 256Mb Ram.
The reason he baught it from Harvey and not me was that Harvey offers interest free terms, where I can only offer Flexirent (Lease).
He wanted an memory upgrade on this laptop. Open the laptop, and we have 2x 128Mb Modules (as appose to the same model that i can get that comes standard with 1x 256Mb Module).

If you are stuck going to a retail chain so you can take advantage of interest free terms, then once again, CHECK UNDER THE HOOD, and get it in writing from them.

NOTEBOOK BRANDS
Avoid the small notebooks companys. Eg. Highlander, Clevo, Protac, Hyundia, MegaImage, Featron, etc.

My opinions on some of the bigger band names.

SONY - Don't like them as they have a rather high return rate.

Toshiba - Expensive. But they are really good and reliable. How ever, i do feel that they are slipping.

HP-COMPAQ - Value for money, and still a quality product. How ever thier tech support has been slipping ever since the merging and outsourcing to India. If the notebook has the word "Presario" in it, do not touch it.

NEC - Over looked, but excellent value for money.

Acer - Don't know about these guys. The sticker with their standard drop off 4 hour turn arround warrany is "good to look at"

IBM - TOO expensive, and i really do not like dealing with their tech support.

Personally, I would recommend the following :-

NEC Versa S900 NN2500758H1
Centrino PM 1.5 Ghz, 512MB Ram , 60Gb Hard Drive, 12.1"TFT Display, 32Mb Ati Radeon 9000 Video, DVD Writer / CD Writer, USB 2.0, 56K, 10/100, WiFi 802.11b, External Floppy, Windows xp Pro, 2.04 Kg FREE CARRY BAG

AU$3095

Toshiba Satellite A10 PSA10A-05HUM PRICE DROP!
Pentium Mobile 2.4 Ghz, 512MB Ram, 60gb Hard Drive, DVD-R/-RW Rom, 15"TFT Active Display, 56K Fax/Modem, Ethernet, Windows xp Pro

AU$2675

HP Compaq NX7010 DL843#ABG
Intel Centrino 1.7, 15.4" Widescreen Display WSXGA+, 512Mb, 80gb Hard Drive, 64Mb Video, DVD+RW, WiFi 802.11b, BlueTooth, SDSlot, 56K Fax/Modem, Ethernet, Ethernet, USB 2.0, Firewire, Windows xp Pro,

AU$3999

Anyways, I hope this helps.

whats the conversion of AU to USD? both those brands you mentioned are not so good th3_choos3n_on3.

i would get a pentium4 2.4Ghz or faster processor if you have a small budget of about $1200 USD. if you can afford a centrino notebook that would be best. centrino have long life and are powerful processors despite the misleading frequency of the processor.

compaq is a nice brand. they are the same hardware-wise as an HP notebook, but the outside looks better. Sony is reliable but too expensive. Silesia pretty much covered the rest in her novel :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom