Not good not good - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 04-13-2004, 02:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Default Not good not good

As I sit here and type, one of my harddrives is failing, and could die at any second. That's why 30 seconds ago I backed up all my files onto a different computer (an advantage of being on a network). So now my files are backed up...but my poor computer. I'm sure it isn't my primary hd but my secondary....it started about 5 minutes ago...I was on this forum...about to post a reply....and I heard this really high pitched noise and it was winding down....the motor that spins the platters had just stopped.....my computer then crashed.....so i turned it off....I turned my computer back on....i figured i would let scandisk run and do it's thing....sure enough when it started scanning the D drive it made the same noise and the computer crashed.....i rebooted...skipped the scandisk...then i let windows boot..i backed up all my files and now i find myself here....I will use that harddrive until it dies....and then i'll take it apart..... ^^

Another reason why I need to build myself a computer by the end of the year.....i've had this computer for 2-3 years now.....and it has been used a lot be4 then....it is now finally dieing....o well...as long as my cpu...graphics and sound cards don't die im in good shape

Old 04-13-2004, 02:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie

Lets have a moment of silence for another fallen hard drive. __________. Now thats what I call going out with a bang. Sorry for your loss FireFox.

The Memory Experts(SM) at Crucial Technology is now on board to give you straight answers to your memory-related questions.
When responding please provide your full system specs; hardware and software, OS, BIOS, drivers Etc. You can e-mailmemory related questions to cpl@micron.com
Old 04-13-2004, 05:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

I pray that your hard drive will last just a little bit longer so that it will be able to look back at its amazing 2-3 year life of storing all sorts of files into its god-like memory bank....

May your hard-drive R.I.P.

Sniff sniff......................
Old 04-13-2004, 06:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

This harddrive is probably around 10 years old.....i would say 8-10.....it's a old seagate 1.5 Gb...not even sure how many RPM's it is...and i dont feel like looking...and my other harddrive is the exact same type....no more buying video games now i gotta save for a new computer......my first line of business will be a new hard drive...lol
Old 04-13-2004, 06:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
True Techie

Sniff, Sniff.

Just let it go man. We know it did it's best for you all those years. hehe, I know it suxs to lose a hard drive. Good luck on a new one.
The Memory Experts(SM) at Crucial Technology is now on board to give you straight answers to your memory-related questions.
When responding please provide your full system specs; hardware and software, OS, BIOS, drivers Etc. You can e-mailmemory related questions to cpl@micron.com
Old 04-13-2004, 06:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

o well....it's just embarrasing having 2 1.5Gb hds..lol
Old 04-13-2004, 09:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Send a message via AIM to alecjahn
Default I feel your pain. So do my drives.

Yeah ive had many-a computer over the years, and i have a drawer full of dead drives... er... 6 or so total.

12.5gig Quantum Fireball (it was from a compaq with WinME and im SURE thats why it died prematurely)
4.3gig WD,
6.?gig WD,
1.6gig WD,
420mb Conner, which might actually work still...
425mb Seagate, also has some sort of life, but makes a plesant banging noise...

Wow Let the 6.5 rest in pieces... literally. (missing magnets, screws, etc)

Oh and a 125 from our first computer (IBM PS/2!!! WOOT WOOT GOOD TIMES WITH THAT L337 DOS MACHIIIINE!)
(^actually it did 0wnzorz *****es at the time^)

Lots of WDs... all of em died tho. but then again, i really abuse my equipment (not like dropping it or anything)

And some mystery drive that i took apart to mount on my wall... i just love the look of those rock-hard platters.
Old 04-13-2004, 09:49 PM   #8 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

"12.5gig Quantum Fireball (it was from a compaq with WinME and im SURE thats why it died prematurely)"

DON'T SAY THE C WORD!!!!!!!!!!!! i hate compaq, have an ol' one up stairs that cant even get started, even in safe mode, (ME too, back then i was a sucker, i believed them when they said that "millenium edition" was REALLY $uPa 1337 , lol, excuse my dudespeak. (god i was so gullible...)
Old 04-13-2004, 10:08 PM   #9 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

lol.....i have quite a few 325Mb hd's.....quite a few ½Gb hd's....one or 2 100Mb hd's....last i knew they still worked....and yes.....compaq sux! I hate compaqs...next in line would have to be HP...they suck also...
Old 04-14-2004, 12:37 PM   #10 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I've got a real old 20mb harddrive, not sure why i kept it. Maybe it has historical value now...

Closed Thread