Not enough power to graphics card??

Status
Not open for further replies.

haGGard

In Runtime
Hi,

I left my computer on today, only for about 2 hours. When i returned to it, a message had appeared on the screen. It was an nVidia error message saying that my graphics card was not receiving enough power and to check that the power cable was plugged in correctly to prevent system lockups and freezing.

I was slightly confused as the power cable is plugged in and it wasnt as if the computer is under high graphical stress when idleing on my desktop...

Anyone know whats causing this? Do you think it might be my PSU?

Thanks...

Oh, sorry i forgot to mention. It also said that it had returned my graphics card to a state where it will be less power demanding...

Was it because i had left it overclocked in powerstrip and forgot to return it to stock settings while idleing...?

That could be. Was it working OK in the past? I gather that providing you did not make any major changes to your video card I would suspect th PSU. If it was working fine and you over clocked you CPU and then the problem happened I would restore it to factory settings and see if the problem persists.

If the problem continues to happen at factory settings I would once again suspect the PSU. Try to pop in another PSU. For what you have in your system I would be inclined to put at lesat a 450 watt PSU in it.

My CPU isnt over clocked... only thing that is overclocked is my gfx card.

It could be the PSU, but ive never had it do this before, even though it has only been overclocked since the begining of June... Its overclocked to the specs in my sig.... standard is 500/900

It could be my PSU. It is a 400watt 'I-cute' PSU that came with my case. I've heard PSU's that come with cases are not that good but so far its been alright and ive never had any automatic restarts of the computer or anything :/

I would set the GFx card back to default settings and let it run for a day and see if the problem happes again. If it doesnt I would guess that it is the OC that caused the problem.

When you restore it back to factory settings stress test it with a diagnostics prog like Si Soft Sandra or equivelant. If you dont have one watch a DVD. DVDs are great for stress testing both GFX cards and CPUs. If the DVD plays OK and you cant reproduce the error I would say the OC was the problem. If the problem happen again run a full system diag with Si Soft Sandra or equivelant this should detect the problem. If not try a new PSU.

You are right about "stock" PSUs that come with cases... most of them are not a good quality and are prone to spikes and other issues that could cause problems on your system.

I left my computer on overnight tonight with the card not overclocked...

When i awoke i had litterally 100 of these error messages shown below...

(click all pics to make bigger)

Clicking on 'troubleshoot' displays this message:

troubleshoot4iz.png

This is what it has done to my 2D clocks!!!

I might try rearanging my molex wires as currently the one plugged into my 6600gt is also powering my HDD and dvd/rw...

Hmm...

I might just buy a new PSU though anyway...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom