Not detecting USB

Status
Not open for further replies.

subnet_rx

Baseband Member
I have a Wireless USB adapter that I'm trying to get on the network. I had it working fine till a network guy come over and started messing around. Now, when I plug in the adapter, the computer either locks up or just doesn't recognize the new hardware. It's getting power fine though. What should I look for to fix? I've tried the Add Hardware but it doesn't detect it either.

Remove all the drivers, programs, and program file folders associated with that network adapter, then reinstall it according to the instructions provided with it.

Did the network guy you are referring to do anything to your laptop specifically?

yes, I watched him remove the adapter, and all USB roots and hubs and then restart the computer. That's when it started not detecting anything. At that point, it didn't even detect the mouse, so I switched to one with PS/2.

It sounds like he may have disabled the USB or removed the USB drivers from the laptop.
Are you running Windows XP?

If so, do this:

Connect that computer to a LAN through the network jack. Run a check for Windows updates. It may have the driver you need in there, under the hardware updates.

Next, go to the device manager under "My Computer"

Look at the USB devices and see if they are showing errors. Click on them to see that they are enabled, and also if they have a driver registered.

That is all I can think of for that issue right now. Post back with your findings.

thanks, I'll give it a try. Otherwise, the computer doesn't hold any important data, and I'm just going to reformat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom