not booting

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmreed

Beta member
My PC was in storage for 5 months while we built a house. I hooked it up last night, turned it on, everything fine, logged onto internet, okay too. Disconnected from internet. Did a scan disk, everything okay. Went back in the room later, the computer was like it was on standby. Nothing on the screen, just red lights where you turn the computer on and off at. I shut it down by holding the button in and restarted. It sounded like it was trying to boot, but didn't. Just continues to show red lights.

Fans seem to be working. What should I do?

Thanks A lot.

Was your storage climate controlled? It really just sounds like a loose connection. A friend brought me a computer that had been in the back seat of his car in the middle of summer for a half day. Symptons were the same as yours. I took it apart, cleaned it, reseated the memory and boards (don't need to touch the CPU), and it has been working fine ever since. If you are going to trouble shoot this system, you will have to minimize it anyway (take out components to isolate the problem). Take the opportunity to clean (compressed air - don't touch connectors unless the appear tarnished) and reseat your cards.

It was not climate controlled. The climate would have been more cold than hot. I did clean with compressed air. Explain reseat your cards. I'm not totally computer illiterate, but I don't want to do anything wrong.

Thanks

Kmreed

I think with reseating your cards he means this:

Power off your PC, disconnect you PC, touch the central heating of your house, or disable possible static charges on your body otherwise (there are tools for this).

Unplug your card, and put it back into the slot (I gues you should put it into the same slot again). And unplug all plugs in the system, and replug them the same way they were when you started.

Good luck,
EGM

I went home and checked everything, nothing seemed loose, although the fan in the center of the CPU was very dirty. I cleaned it with compressed air and it seems to be working, but still nothing as far as the computer booting up.

What next?

kmreed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom