Norton Antivirus Probs - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 06-08-2005, 08:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie

Default Norton Antivirus Probs

I just finished fixing three computers with viruses in the last hour. (I'm at work) The funny thing is, the problems they were having sounded just like a virus, however all the customers said they had just scanned it with Norton. We don't use any of the popular programs that most ppl use for AV (don't ask because I can't tell you), and when I was finished fixing these computers (that had just been scanned by norton) I found between 15 and 30 SEPERATE viruses on each machine. So I know a lot of you have a lot of faith in this program but I can tell you that if you are having problems with what looks like a virus and you do a scan and it does NOT fix your problem, then it could still very well be a virus.

Old 06-08-2005, 08:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie

It doesn't surprise me, but I doubt you will find many Norton supporters here.

I have been very happy with Trend PC-Illin.

BE HEARD - Techonvent
DS3 | E6400 - 3.2GHz 24/7 | 2GB OCZ PLat. PC6400 | 6800GT | Zippy 460W
What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left.
Old 06-08-2005, 08:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie

Yeah, what ignited my interest in this subject was after I had heard customers here and people on these forums saying that it can't be a virus because they just ran Norton.
Old 06-08-2005, 08:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Send a message via AIM to HAVOC Send a message via Yahoo to HAVOC

I like Norton. It's always worked well for me.

Well, a lot of people whom own Norton Anitvirus aren't very considered about updating their virus definitions/database. They think that all they need is the program and they are safe. They don't realize that the definitions need to be updated on a weekly or even daily basis.

I do a manual update on my machine a few times a week or whenever there are new updates available. I have a hardware firewall and a software firewall. Since i've owned my 2 PC's i haven't had a virus yet. A few small spyware proggies here and there but, i knew they would be installed.

I had a guy I work with say, "I always scan my PC with norton." I said, "ok when was the last time you updated your definitions?"
He said, "What's that?" I've never done that... LOL

And college kids are the WORST with their laptops that mom & dad bought them for college. LOADED with adware, spyware and all kinds of viruses. I've fixed like 5 laptops since this years college semester ended. Good for business, bad for mom and dad's pockets!
Old 06-08-2005, 08:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
True Techie

Lol most certainly! I do like norton too, I just won't rely on it if something is messed up on a computer AFTER it has been scanned. It is definitely not a bad program
Old 06-08-2005, 09:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
True Techie

Send a message via Yahoo to xenosoul

Mcaffes has always been my number one choice since the junkie boot virus.
Old 06-08-2005, 09:18 PM   #7 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Quote:
I do a manual update on my machine a few times a week or whenever there are new updates available. I have a hardware firewall and a software firewall. Since i've owned my 2 PC's i haven't had a virus yet. A few small spyware proggies here and there but, i knew they would be installed.
Yes, but if you are scanning with Norton, how do you REALY know you don't have a virus

I had Norton for ages. I switched after trying HouseCall on the Trend site. It is a free online virus scan. I ran it right after running Norton, and guess what, it found 3 virus! And, I always updated the definitions.

The other thing with Norton, it could never get rid of a virus. Even if it found something, I always had to remove it mannually.

I finaly made the switch and have been really happy with Trend.

BE HEARD - Techonvent
DS3 | E6400 - 3.2GHz 24/7 | 2GB OCZ PLat. PC6400 | 6800GT | Zippy 460W
What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left.
Old 06-09-2005, 12:43 AM   #8 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Just remember everyone you like Norton, Norton likes your money. My advice is to use AVG.
Vista Discussion | 64 Bit Discussion |Microsoft Homepage | Yo Linux | Paul Thurrott | Fire Fox | Thunder Bird | Image Shack | Photo Bucket | Put File | Anti-Spyware | MS Anti-Spyware | Trillian | Anti-Virus | On Line Virus Scan
Old 06-09-2005, 12:47 AM   #9 (permalink)
True Techie

yeah go with AVG, i keep my computer clean with it and the best thing its that is free
Old 06-09-2005, 02:46 AM   #10 (permalink)
Master Techie

Same here avg but my other comp uses norton 05 and it has fixed any problems i have had.