Nonestop beep at start up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warp

Beta member
Hello guys

My buddy is bringing his computer over to my place tomorrow, but I thought I'd start "early" in trying to diagnose and hopefully fix it!

What he tells me is , when he powers it up, the computer will just continue to beep nonestop. NOTHING appears on the monitor. Actually the only thing the monitor does is the power light ON THE MONITOR initially turns green, then yellow/amber

What can I do to diagnose this? and what do you gentlemen think it might be??

Thank you

Paul
warp10@rogers.com

MicroBell said:
Agreed...somethings not seated correctly (Useally Video Card or Ram) or the CPU fan is not pluged into the correct fan header on the board...ect. Here's a basic error codes for a motherboard useing an Award bios..

Award Beep Codes

1 Long Beep: Memory problem

Explanation: There is a failure of some sort related to the system memory.

Diagnosis: The first bank of memory probably has a failure of some sort; this is usually just a physical problem such as an incorrectly inserted module, but may also mean a bad memory chip in a module. It is possible that there is a failure related to the motherboard or a system device as well.

Recommendation:

* Treat as an apparent memory failure.
* Troubleshoot the motherboard.

1 Long, then 2 Short Beeps: Video error

Explanation: The BIOS is unable to access the video system in order to write any error messages to the screen.

Diagnosis: This is usually caused by a problem with the video card, or the memory on the video card. It can also be a motherboard issue.

Recommendation:

* Troubleshoot the video card.
* If the video card is not at fault, troubleshoot the motherboard.

1 Long, then 3 Short Beeps: Video error

Explanation: The BIOS is unable to access the video system in order to write any error messages to the screen.

Diagnosis: This is usually caused by a problem with the video card, or the memory on the video card. It can also be a motherboard issue.

Recommendation:

* If the video card is not at fault, troubleshoot the motherboard.

Continuous Beeping: Memory or video problem

Explanation: The system is producing constant Beeping in no specific pattern, or a fast "ringing" sound.

Diagnosis: This is usually caused by a problem with the system memory, or possibly the video card. The memory is more likely--the system complains long and loud if it can't find any usable memory, as there is no way to even start the boot process when this is the case. The motherboard itself could also be the problem.

Recommendation:

* Troubleshoot the system memory.
* Troubleshoot the motherboard.

GEEZ DUDE!

:D

Well, I think MicroBell has ya covered :cool:

(Man, I wish I was that smart.....heh....... :p )

DANG

That is impressive MB!

and thanks to the rest of ya!

I know award bios is the most common, but are there "beep" charts for other bios? and if so, where can they be found?

I am confident that will all the great info you have shared with me in such a short time, that I will be able to figure this out

thank you again

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom