Noisy fans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Humbucker

In Runtime
I posted a thread about this a few weeks back. Basically the fans in my base unit have become gradually louder in the 7 months I have had it. At first I thought it was possibly a dust build-up causing the excessive noise, so I blew out all the dust and dirt inside. This didn't make any difference whatsoever.

I'm prepared to replace some of the fans, but the problem is I don't know WHICH ones are making the most noise. At first I was thinking it was the Power Supply, but I dunno now. Also I've heard the fans on the Radeon 9800 series video cards are noisy, so it could be that too. How safe is it to take the cover off and have a listen to the fans in action to identify which are the problem ones?

I've been looking here - http://www.quietpc.com/uk/products.php but my knowledge of what to buy etc is very limited indeed. I have an Athlon 64 processor. If anyone could give me any pointers on what to buy that would be much appreciated. This vacuum cleaner-type noise(not THAT loud but loud enough to be irritating) is getting on my nerves and as I do some home-recording a quiet PC is pretty important for my needs. Many thanks for any help and advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom