Noises during installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

hu_xu

In Runtime
Hello this is my first time posting.

I searched the forum but couldn't find a similar question or problem.

My problem started when I was installing Half-Life 2. When the computer asked for the 2nd disc I put it in and I could hear the CD-ROM start spinning and then I clicked <yes> to signal to the installer executable that the 2nd disc was inserted. It went fine at first but then started becoming louder than normal and concluding with a loud noise like a power gritty screw driver for around 30 seconds until the end of installation for disc 2. The PC vibrated during the 30 seconds. After that I never heard the sound again for the rest of the installation (5 discs). I played Half-Life 2 with no problems and my PC has since not made any noises (I installed the game around 10:45am and it is now 9:40pm).

The DVD-ROM drive I installed the game with is a LG. The sound seem to be isolated to the DVD-ROM drive and not the hard drive. I read some posts where the hard drive makes rattling noises but my hard drive does not make those noises and I have booted up the computer successfully and silently for three times. The Half-Life 2 disc is not damaged...at first I thought the disc was being scratched in the DVD-ROM drive when that sound was happening. Once the CD stopped spinning the noise stopped...that is why I think it would be the DVD-ROM and not the HD. I have since tested the drive with other media content and everything seems to play fine and it also seems to read fine (no speed loss). The HD makes no noises except for it's occasional ticking when running something which is not loud and not for a long time (maybe 2-3 seconds).

I don't really know what went wrong but I rather hope it is not the HD. The DVD-ROM is easily replacable and I already have another DVD writer on top of it so I can easily just use that.

So once again the sound is something like a gritty power screw drive with like nails shaking or buzzing. It has seen run perfectly fine with no problems and that sound lasted for around 30 seconds to 45 seconds. When the installation for Disc 2 was complete and the CD stopped spinning the sound went away. This sound did not come back for the remaining CDs and even another fresh install of Half-Life 2 or when I used the ROM to play other media content. This noise as you can tell is baffling me.:confused:

I had that happen but id put two disks in the drive at once.I know Dumb.Just moving to fast.Mabey put the 2nd disk back in and access it to get it spinning and see if it does it again might be off center.Ive never heard of anything like that before but nothing is imposable.

sPlAtOiD said:
I had that happen but id put two disks in the drive at once.I know Dumb.Just moving to fast.Mabey put the 2nd disk back in and access it to get it spinning and see if it does it again might be off center.Ive never heard of anything like that before but nothing is imposable.

Thanks for replying.

I actually did another clean install of Half-Life 2...I wasn't comfortable after hearing that sound...about 2 hours after the initial installation. During the second time disc 2 spun fine and no noises were heard. I think maybe you're right and it spun too fast. I don't think anything is wrong with the DVD-ROM because even during the first time after those noises Disc 2 installed fine without any problems.

I'm gonna download some diagnostic tools to make sure nothing is wrong with my HD health. I rather lose the DVD-ROM than the HD (both of which are still under warranty) but I have valuable data in the HD.

On another note I also have a laptop and sometimes that DVD-ROM also becomes loud but a different noise. It sounds like a snow blower or race car during startup. It also vibrates the laptop. What got me really worried was that with my other comp it sounded like rattling and I heard of HD becoming corrupted when that happens.

But I have seen booted up my PC fine, HD no noise during bootup, standstill, or running an app. I think it's the DVD-ROM because when Disc 2 stopped spinning the noise went away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom