I ran through my computer, hooking various things up and disconnecting others. I've determined the loudest, and quietest, components in my system. From loudest to quietest:
1. Western Digital WD120JD. SATA, 120 GB, gives off a significant whine.
2. Maxtop CSX-147K2FGRAY, input fan. This gives off a slight whine.
3. Maxtop CSX-147K2FGRAY exhaust fan. Same, but not as noticeable.
4. Allied 500 watt power supply. Also gives off a bit of a hum/whine.
5. Geforce FX5200, PCI, PNY verto model. Effectively silent.
6. Zalman 7000 aluminum/copper heatsink. Effectively silent.
It's basically 1-3 that are the most noticeable, but 1 beats the rest out by a wide margin. I'm considering purchasing something like this
, but am concerned about heating issues, and general reliability. Suspending the hard drive also seems to create heat issues (something an SATA drive doesn't really need), and if the suspension fails...bye bye hard drive. If anyone can give some pointers here, i'd much appreciate it.