no signal... - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 03-11-2005, 11:25 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default no signal...

hey eveyone, as you can see i am new and just wondering what happened to my comp. Info:

Windows Xp
Custom Built
Processor: 3200+ amd 64mb
ram: 512(2) Corsair
GFX: 9600 pro
HD: 120 Gb western digital
400 watt ps
(no onboard gfx)
pretty much the basics

Computer has been working fine for almost a year

Well now to the question. The problem is that when i start the computer up i get a no signal from my monitor as if my gfx card isnt connected or its not functioning. (The fan on the card is on when i start the comp) The processor and the hard drive start up, but it seems the hd just stops after a few seconds. I tried taking everything out(ram, one stick at a time, hd, cd, floppy, sound card) to see if it was something causing this, but nothing. I still dont have a "signal" for my monitor. Im not sure what is going on.

I moved to england, and the power current is different over here. Its 230 instead of 115 or whatever it is in the states. Im not exactly sure what the exact numbers are, but its different. I tried both currents for my power box. Nothing....I dont know if i fried something or what, but if anyone can give me some info on what the problem might be, much would be appriciated!

thnx for your time

Old 03-11-2005, 11:30 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master Techie

There is a reasonable chance it's fried (though I could be wrong). Check the PSU box and the plug, and see what it's tolerance in terms of voltage is.

-AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Winchestor
-MSI K8N Neo4-F
-Sapphire Radeon X850 XT
-2x 1024 Corsair XMS Pro

<form action=\"\" method=\"get\">
<input type=\"text\" name=\"search\"><input type=\"submit\" name=\"submit\" value="Search!"></form> Search TF before you post!
Old 03-12-2005, 10:31 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

well its not fried, because i bought another gfx card and it still isnt working. The same thing happens with a brand new one....
Old 03-12-2005, 12:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Well don't set your PSU to the wrong voltage even if it doesn't work, because that could damage something. In England it's 230v.

\'There is only one basic human right, and that is to do as you **** well please.
And with it comes the only basic human duty, to take the consequences.\'

Closed Thread