no screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

antirem

In Runtime
I have an old junky computer that I have and I just revived the HDD with a fresh copy of XP. You turn on the computer and everything goes fine until the windows xp logo and loading bar go away... after that all it is, is a blank screen. The first couple of times little bits of color would randomly come on the srcreen for the first 5 seconds but thats it. Its really hard to get into safe mode because it dosnt like the f8 key even with other keyboards. When I finally got in with the F8 there was no VGA mode to select so I just went with Safe Mode. Safe Mode works great and I made sure to set it at the very lowest display qualities before I left it. Still nothing when booting normally. I am running the monitor through an on board video card (it wont give any signal with a pci card) I cant get into my BIOS cause it dosnt like to listen to the keyboard :confused: I dunno what to do Ive even reset the CMOS. Any suggestions are apreciated thanks!

If it's a real old monitor, it may have trouble making a resolution change from the "Windows Loading" screen to the desktop. Once you get your blank screen, turn off the monitor and turn it back on. If you still don't get a picture...

Go into Safe Mode. Set the resolution to 640x480 at something like 256 colors. Then, in the display properties, choose Advanced, choose the "Adapter" tab, the click the botton "List All Modes." Choose one that says 640x480, 256 colors, and 60 hertz (or whatever the lowest number displayed). Then shut down the computer, shut off the monitor, and then turn everything back on. If you still get the blank screen after the "Windows Loading" screen, turn off the monitor and turn it back on. If there's still no go, it could be a video card incompatibility problem with XP.

A good experiment if you have the capability woud be to attach the monitor on the "junky" computer to a newer one and seeing if the monitor behaves ok. If it works ok, you can then start seeing what display modes the monitor will run. If the monitor still doesn't work, it could be a bad monitor. If you know the monitor works on a newer machine at a high resolution (like, 1024x768) at high refresh rates (like 80 or 85 hertz) then it's likely the hardware on the "junky" computer, whether it be a windows XP incompatibility problem or something else.

If the computer worked fine running Win98 at different resolutions, it almost definately is an XP compatibility problem with your video card (probably not the monitor). You could always try to get a new video card, if you think it's work spending money on the computer.

did all that ^^^ cept i kno the monitor works cause it boots mostly, i put another copy of xp on it (different disk, the one i first used was burned) and it works now but thanks anyways

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom