No power for 5 minutes

Status
Not open for further replies.

diymike

Beta member
Newbie,

I have a pc pent.1, 233 mhz, seagate 8.6gb hd, 250w power, cd r/rw, dsl card, 64 mb simms.

I have done some computer work, ie; changed cards, added memory, cd & floppy drives. I have not built any computers from scratch and don't know where to start for trouble shooting.

My Problem: Over the last month when I turn on the computer the monitor somtimes will get vertical and horizontal lines/interference over the top of the monitor text rendering it unreadable. If I turned the computer off and back on the monitor would come up ok. At one time I was able to read an OS message that said "Your display adapter is not configured properly. To correct the problem click ok to start hardware installation wizard".

Within the last couple of weeks I have added a 2nd problem, When I turn on the computer nothing happens, no lights, no fan, nothing for about 5 minutes and then the lights click on, fans start and everthing starts up ok. Once the computer has been up and running for a while if I power it down and back up it comes up ok.

I asked what it may be at a local computer/parts store and the guy said it sounded like maybe the video card. I bought a refurbed S3 video card and installed it. I have powered it off and on a few times since and have not had the monitor inerference described earlier but am still having the power on problem when the computer is cold.

I hope this message is clear and not too wordy. I would appreciate any suggestions. My next thought was a bad power supply.???? I'm getting ready to buy a new computer but would like to keep this one as a 2nd computer.

Thanks
diyMike

diymike said:
I asked what it may be at a local computer/parts store and the guy said it sounded like maybe the video card. I bought a refurbed S3 video card and installed it. I have powered it off and on a few times since and have not had the monitor inerference described earlier but am still having the power on problem when the computer is cold.
did the display work correctly after you got the new video card?
try another power supply and see what happens

Thanks all, The display has worked each time I have powered on since replacing the video card. I guess a power supply is the cheapest component to try first. I do still have an old 486dx sitting in a box somewhere, would I be able to try the 486 power supply providing it is 250w? Any suggestions on replacing the MOB with the idea that I will only be using this computer for the internet and homework typing. Sould I find a old/refurbed P1 or P2 MOB that I can then use my old cards and memory? Is it even worth the effort and money to repair? I was thinking if I can repair it for less than $75 it may be worth the effort. I appreaciate your thoughts.
Thanks
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom