no power - Page 8 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 09-14-2004, 11:06 AM   #71 (permalink)
PowerQuest / Opera

no, not Watts, but amps, like killians said
and I don't think anythink in yer comp can kill u except for the powersupply itself

TheMajorMMX - Intel P200 MMX @ 225Mhz - V-Tech (PcPartner) Baby-AT mb w/ Intel Triton TX chipset - Nvidia Riva TNT2 M64 w/ 16MB - 256MB M-Tec SDRAM - Still running.....
Old 09-14-2004, 12:03 PM   #72 (permalink)
True Techie

Originally posted by jolancer
human body resistence is prolly around 30000 ohms then.

u can easily find out urself, just use an ohm meter on your body. i'd test it myself, but i dont have a multimeter currently avalible.. let me know how that goes then.

yeah this guy beat me to it. dry human skin does indeed have about 30,000 ohms of resistance. only when it is wet does it drop to low numbers (still not zero).

Old 09-14-2004, 01:29 PM   #73 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Ok, I'm just here to listen, and I am crying laughing at what is going on. However, I'm no electirican or physysist (think I spelled that right lol), but umm... can someone explain the whole watts, volts, amps, ohms and other stuff that's involved with all of it?

Helpme, yeah, uhhh.,, don't try that again, k? Not exactly the brightest thing to do with a live wire, but now you know so I won't rub it in. My chassis fan makes a clanky noise when it was plugged in, so I turned it off, unplugged the fan, an now I'm saving for a new (and better) fan.
Old 09-14-2004, 04:40 PM   #74 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

I'm no electrician either BUT, I think it goes something like this. Volts is a measurement of how much electricity is going through a circuit. Its like a measurement of speed? I guess is the only thing I can think to compare it to. Its the rate in which the amps are transfered through the line that makes up the voltage. The Amps multiplied by the volts = watts so when you look on your power supply you'll always see 3 rails, the +3.3v, +5v, and +12v each with a certain amount of amperage allowed. My +12v rail has a limit of 22a so 12ax22v = 264watts You use the following formula for your other rails (also the -3.3v, -5v, and -12v) and that's how you get the total wattage of your power supply...or so I Ohms...that is just another term for electrical measurement.. I wasnt sure on the EXACT nature of here's that definition:

A unit of electrical resistance equal to that of a conductor in which a current of one ampere is produced by a potential of one volt across its terminals. See table at
Like I said, I think I've stated just some basic knowledge stuff, but I don't know everything about electricity so I may have something backwards...but as far as your amps and volts = wattage...I'm like 99% sure that is correct.

Oh yeah don't ever take apart your monitor either That holds a lot of electricity in 'er too
Old 03-14-2005, 03:24 AM   #75 (permalink)
Newb Techie

And just for the record.. human skin resistance varies from about 2 Mohms down to 100 Kohms or so. Sithspawns numbers were interesting but wrong, and a little misleading. If he got numbers anywhere near those he indicated (and most multimeters do NOT measure anywhere near down to 10^-9 ohms!!!), he was most likely measuring a highly conductive electrolyte he was covered in, and *that* would be what carried the current, not him.. Yes, having wet feet, just like being covered in sweat, will improve your contact, but it won't get below a few Kohms where it counts. To electrocute you, the current must pass through your heart, and even your body's *internal resistance* (ie from an external bloody wound deep enough to get to the heart!) is still a hundred ohms or so.

What this means is.. unless you drove two metal spikes *into* your body, prefereably near your heart, from that 12V battery, you are not in danger.

More here:

And an interesting (O; story here, but I still have my doubts:
Old 03-14-2005, 08:45 AM   #76 (permalink)
The Grinch

.................................................. ............POST.................................. .................................................. .........SPAM
Old 06-23-2005, 10:11 PM   #77 (permalink)
True Techie
Send a message via AIM to MacMaster64 Send a message via Yahoo to MacMaster64
Default LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by lazerman
I'm posting, but I am wearing an extra big cup, a motocross helmet, and a pillow in the rear of my pants.

He could be called SupĂ©r LĂ* Resistánce

LOL ROFLSHISMIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and soon TF
Old 06-23-2005, 10:38 PM   #78 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

chrlz - I see you have some interesting info to share, but try not to make it a habit of reviving threads that are beyond their time

The rest of you, don't troll, you've been here long enough to know that

Intel C2D E6320 / AMD Athlon X2 3800+
Gigabyte 965P DS3 / DFI nF4 Ultra-D
2GB OCZ Gold PC2-6400 / 2GB OCZ Gold PC4000
eVGA 8800GTS 320MB / eVGA 6800GS 256MB
150GB Raptor / 74GB Raptor
2x500GB / 320GB
OCZ GameXStreme 850w / OCZ StealthXStream 600w
Closed Thread