Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkAngel

Baseband Member
Mobo: AUSU A7N8X-X
Memory: 256Mb Generic
Processor: Athlon XP 2400+ Barton
Vid Card: Inno3D Geforce2 MX400

After changing the FSB from 100Mhz to 166Mhz and leaving the multiplier on default 7x/15x (the correct speed for the CPU, 166*15 = 2490) the system failed to POST after saving the changes and resetting the computer.
I have assitained that the CPU, Memory, Grpahics Card and PSU work, as i have used them in other computers. I also checked the voltages on the PSU with a multimeter and they were all the correct voltage ratings.

Before the system is turned on and the power supply is supplying voltage to the motherboard (but the PC is not turned on as such) there is a green LED between the 4th and 5th PCI slot that is lit.
When the power switch on the case is pushed, the system fans (CPU and GFX)activate and the hard drive, cd and dvd rom drives show signs that they have power.

Resetting the BIOS has been unsucsessful, and I have tried the following techniques;
o Setting the jumper CLRTC1 to clear the CMOS
o Taking the BIOS battery out for 45 minutes with the PSU unplugged
o Taking the BIOS battery out for 45 minutes with the PSU unplugged and the ATX motherboard cable unplugged
o Taking the BIOS battery out and shorting the posotive and negative terminals on the motherboard in the battery housing together (to discharge any capacitors)

but to no avail.

Here are all the jumper settings on the motherboard;
USBPWR_12 34 56 - default settings
CPU_FSB - FSB200 (pins 2+3 connected)
CLRTC1 - Normal (when booting PC)
KBPWR1 - Default

This problem has baffled me and 5 of my friends. The only conclusion I can draw is that the BIOS isnt resetting itself properly, or the motherboard has a fault.

Any ideas?

Ok, I RTC'd the board with no luck, and tried holding INS with no luck also.
Would it be safe to pop my A7N8X Dlx bios chip in my mates pc? oh well im gonna try anyway.

MicroBell said:
If he has the same motherboard you can do it either way.

I have the A7N8X Deluxe and he has the (borked) A7N8X-X

Same BIOS?

or will it die?

also, where can I buy a replacement BIOS chip (if possible with the default settings for the A7N8X-X) to put in his board?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom