nForce3 vs. VIA... Chipset? - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 01-10-2005, 03:51 PM   #11 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

My older ASUS board with nforce chipset was absolute junk. One of the reasons I hate ASUS because that was a horrible experience and the stupid 'tech support' was complete worthless idiots.

When I first bought my FX 5700 I go to put it in the system and it freezes when it gets to windows. I did about a week of troubleshooting and nothing worked.

ASUS's reply to my question......get a new video card....I said screw you guys and your crap motherboards, got an MSI board and the card worked like a champ.

the MSI had a VIA chipset. I don't know about now, but VIA was decent in the past, but each chipset had flaws. The nforce chipset tend to run pretty hot, and the NB's are never flat =/

Old 01-10-2005, 10:02 PM   #12 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

ChipX, why is that the "dumbest post" you have ever seen? He was posting his opinion on what he thinks is wrong with his system which in turn happens to deal with the VIA chipset. So it's kind of a warning.

If you don't have anything useful to add don't post. Strike 1.

You could say I've been around.
Old 01-10-2005, 10:04 PM   #13 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

I have used both NForce and the VIA Chipsets old and new, and I have never had problems with any of them. The only reason I would specifically choose NForce over VIA, is that I think Nvidia makes it a little easier to update the chipset drivers.
ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe
Intel Core i7 2600k
16GB DDR3 G-Skill Ripjaws
1TB 7200 Segagte Drive
eVGA GeForce 570
Samsung Blu-Ray Drive
Antec 850 Watt PSU
Windows 7 Professional
Old 01-11-2005, 10:14 AM   #14 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Still kinda lost as to the differences between the two, but that's OK. I think I'm making a good choice with the MSI Neo2 Platinum. I'll look into nForce 4 though.

My computer:

AMD Athlon64 3200+ S939
1024MB Dual Channel DDR400 Corsair XMS with LED activity indicators
256MB GeForce 6600 PCI-E by Chaintech
Aspire X-Navigator case with 500W PSU, 6x80mm fans, 1x120mm fan
Gigabyte nForce4/PCI-E S939 mobo
16X DVD±R Dual Layer burner
Memory card read/writer
...and a Led Zeppelin sticker!
Old 01-11-2005, 10:18 AM   #15 (permalink)
Super Techie

MSI Neo 4 Platinum is nForce 4
Sig removed due to size. Please read the rules before adding your compliant sig. SigSanta
Old 01-11-2005, 12:36 PM   #16 (permalink)
Super Techie

Why 2 gigs of generic RAM? I would rather use 1 gig of good quality RAM.
3 different OS, so yep I\'m confused.
Old 01-11-2005, 01:51 PM   #17 (permalink)
Lord Techie
Send a message via AIM to beedubaya

Originally posted by ShoobieRat
It's you,'s you...
Wtf is that supposed to mean!
Old 01-12-2005, 05:51 AM   #18 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Originally posted by m3incorp
Why 2 gigs of generic RAM? I would rather use 1 gig of good quality RAM.
I thought about that. Everyone was telling me Crucial and Corsair were the best, but their prices were pretty high. So I compared the good Corsair RAM with some no-name brand, and they were pretty comparable. I see that the RAM I'm looking at is accessed at 3.2GB/sec. This and other specs compared to the more expensive Corsairs.

Then I remember someone telling me a long time ago -- so it may not even be relevant in today's RAM market, but I still recall it -- that RAM is basically made by only a few companies -- and they're all pretty good -- and it's resold by many brands. Does that make any sense? Is it close to being true? Or is there a good reason to spend a couple hundred dollars more for comparable (seemingly) RAM?

Even the reviews are glowing for the PQI brand. How bad can it be?

Thanks for the input though. I've never built a system before, which is why I really like reading this message board. Same reason I'm reading Maximum PC, because I'm just learning all this stuff.

Closed Thread