nforce3/Athlon 64

Status
Not open for further replies.

koltregaskes

Solid State Member
Hi there,

I'm looking to purchase a new motherboard and PC Pro (UK mag) recommends the Shuttle AN50R. Firstly, is this just for Shuttle-style cases or will it work in any ATX case? Secondly, is this nForce3 board Athlon 64 processors only?

I have a couple of computers, both with Athlon XP CPUs (1.7 and 2.0GHz). Will either of these work with this board?

If not, what boards do people recommend for Socket A?

OK, cool, that was going to be my next question.

I already have an nForce2 board, is the Ultra version the best nForce board (I've noticed there are many variations)?

I have found a version fews of this chipset as well, nForce2 Ultra, nForce2 Ultra 400 and nForce2 Ultra MCP-T.

What does the MCP-T mean?

the chipset does not usually determine the CPU supported, it is the socket. you can get boards that have Socket A which support the Durons, Athlons and Athlon XP's, you can get socket 754 that support Athlon 64's (not FX's) and Opterons, and you can get socket 940 that support Athlon 64 FX's (not the normal Athlon 64's)

also, with Intel they have socket 478 that support Pentium 4's and Celerons with the 478 pin design, there is socket 370 (which is really a slot) that support Pentium 3's and socket 370 Celerons, and socket 603 which support Xeons.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I realise all this, but does anyone know what the difference is between Ultra 400 and Ultra 400 MCP-T?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom