Newly (personally) built, doesn't boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

jon15n

Baseband Member
Hi all...When I power up the never booted PC, the fans, keyboard, mouse, and all of the drives (HD, CD, floppy) *work*. Except I do not get a video display, and since I don't have a comp speaker plugged in, I don't hear beeps.

Here's the situation:
I bought the motherboard.
It has 4 dimms, 2 SDR, 2 DDR.
Currently, I have a brand new 128MB pc2100 plugged in to DDR1. Since it has the dual dimms, I figured that there was a jumper that needed to be switched. Therefore, I switched the JP1 jumper on the board to open (removed it) so that the DDR RAM is supplied with 2.5V.
Additionally, there are a row of pins (J2A/B/C/D, J3A/B/C/D) which all need to be shorted. The board came with what I think is just 1 row shorted. It says in the manual to short ALL, so I moved all the pins to cover all 160 pins.
As for the CPU, I bought a converter socket 478 to socket 423 for a used P4 1.6GHz (I am not 100% whether or not it works) that I'm trying to use. I plugged that all in, heatsink and all. The converter came with a BIOS update diskette, but I can't do anything since it doesn't boot up. I figured it didn't matter as of yet.
Anyway, I have since replaced the CMOS battery and reset the CMOS memory via my JBAT1 jumper. My CPU clock jumpers are set to 133M and the flash ROM jumpers are set at 5V and 2M.
I have tried both types of RAM, DDR and SDR to no avail.
For the video, I plugged in an AGP 4X nVidia geForce 4 card, which I know works. Nothing is displayed.
I have been thinking that since everything powered up that it was not the processor at fault here. What could it be?

I bought the board new on eBay at this URL: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=44942&item=3438148871
This is the URL for the CPU converter: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3440567941&category=14293&rd=1

I would REALLY APPRECIATE any feedback you have!!
Thanks,
-Jon

all of the jumpers should have been left alone. you should not mess with jumpers if you do not understand what it does. you cannot shuffle them around like a game of "who sunk my battleship" ( a board game).

call up tech support and ask them what is the default settings for all of your jumpers. i think you misunderstood the motherboard manual, never would an end user be required to make wide changes to hardware like that.

what i am saying is if it ain't broke don't fix it...... because now it's broke. hopefully someone here knows the settings for your board.

such harsh criticism!

In actuality, it seemed broke at that time, thus I needed to change the settings.

It's not as if I was mindlessly shuffling them around, either.
Thanks for the reply though, it really helps.

hmm, yeah the jumpers shouldnt be touched, but no matter, go to asus.com and dl the a7n8x pdf manual, in there it shud have a board diagram so u can reset the thing. after that, it might be a long shot, but check the backing plate and make sure no prongs are touching the board, i know from my own experiance that this shorts the board and will have u scrathing ur head for a while!

If the board is shorted, will the fans, HD, and drives turn on and work?
Even without a processor/RAM installed, the fans, HD, and drives turn on.
Also- does every mobo have a notification LED on it?
Thanks!

You might need a pci card if it an older motherboard as the were set in the bios to boot up the pci video first. You had to change in the bios if you want use a agp video card. If it is an newer mobo, then that should not be the case. I would check with a pci card first to make sure though.

Also, take the board out of the case, place it on a non conductive surface, and plug in only 1 stick of ram and a video card. also a floppy drive, then start her up, if she still dont post, u may have a duff board, put memtest on floppy and test the memory if she does.

Could it be the power supply? Right now the max power is 250W. I have a 1.4GHz socket 423 pentium 4 as the CPU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom