Newly built PC worked.... for 4 hours...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ozzpest

Solid State Member
Hi all, just ventured onto these forums.

I built my first PC last night and it worked great. I used it for a few hours and it ran without a hitch.

This morning, I woke up and saw the screen frozen in Windows... I had to do a hard boot, but when I did... nothing.

Nothing came up on my screen and I didn't even get a post beep.

I took out the single stick of DDR RAM that I had (PN 512) and got the loud "No RAM" beeps.

I tried resetting the cmos (unplugged, took out battery, changed jumper... reset jumper, put back in).

Booted up, same thing. The keyboard light flashes for a second, the HD spins, as does the CDROM. The PSU, CPU, and LED fans start whirring. USB doesn't work (last night, my mouse was working only on a couple of the 6 USB slots).

Here are the specs:

Aspire ATX X-Dreamer II case with 350W PSU
Asus A7V8X-X Mobo
AMD Athlon XP 2500+
XFX GeFORCE FX 5200 8xAGP
Western Digital 7200 RPM 120 GB HD
LiteOn DVDRW
PNY (1) 512 MB PC 2700 stick

The case has 2 LED fans, and multiple LEDs on the front and a thermometor as well.

Any help is appreciated. I already removed the mobo from the case and booted up and still no post beep. The monitor also works fine on other PCs. I even went ahead and put washers on all the screws connecting the mobo to the case, but still no go.

Check to make sure that when you mounted the heatsink to the CPU that nothing was damaged. It is really easy to crack the AMD CPUs if too much pressure is applied.

m3incorp said:
Check to make sure that when you mounted the heatsink to the CPU that nothing was damaged. It is really easy to crack the AMD CPUs if too much pressure is applied.

What's the best way for doing that? Will I need some thermal paste?

Update:

Some people suggested my crappy PSU was the culprit. I bought a 400 W antec... still no go. Going to inspect the proc today.

Perhaps try removing the cpu from the board to make sure as someone else suggested that you havent damaged / or inadvertently fried the chip to the board.

Also, your certain there are no POST diagnostic beeps? ... thats quite worrying ... IF I were you id remove all components IDE leads etc, just leaving cpu, single ram stick, gfx card and mouse/keyb to see whether you can find fault to any components

I ran some further tests.

I took out the mobo and placed it on an anti-static bag, connected the power, one stick of RAM, and the video card. Booted up, no post.

Took out the video card, so it was just the stick of ram in there... booted up, no post.

So I'm guessing it's down to the proc or mobo causing the problem. Could it be the RAM?

There are NO sounds. I hear the speaker clicking on when I turn on the power, but no beeping. The speaker works, because when I remove the RAM stick, it beeps LOUDLY at least 9 times in regular intervals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom