newbie w/ lotsa questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

bass_man

Baseband Member
hi everyone,
im new here and i have some questions. im lookin to buy a new computer. i already have a screen, mouse, keybord, speakers... stuff like that. anyone have some suggestions on what to buy. i was lookin at e-machines. they seem cheap( which is the main thing im lookin for) and lotsa features. any suggestions would be good. thanx

depends...do you want to learn to build a comp because it's a LOT cheaper, allowing you to get better parts for the same money than say buying through compaq

those companies are not cheap at all. They look cheap because they don't advertise detailed specs, and they have cheap parts without you noticeing. They never tell the cache, sometimes FSB, hadrive buffer, seek time and stuff like that. If you wanna build your own, I recommand you go with newegg cause they are really good and cheap.

oh... and emachines is not the brand I would go with. They suck. my old emachines freezes and all that, my uncle's laptop turned off suddently and now... I think it is fryed. my point is that emachines build the computer with ghetto parts.

bass_man said:
hi everyone,
im new here and i have some questions. im lookin to buy a new computer. i already have a screen, mouse, keybord, speakers... stuff like that. anyone have some suggestions on what to buy. i was lookin at e-machines. they seem cheap( which is the main thing im lookin for) and lotsa features. any suggestions would be good. thanx

Ok,why not get in your car,take a bus or walk to oh my God
A computer store.
But don't buy a Dell but get a Windows cd and everything else to install and use it after warranty.
oem
:confused:

I'd have to agree with anarchy there, sometimes you do make things hard to understand stan-the-man.

emachines get their name because all they are good for is.... internet surfing! which does not require a lot of power.
companies like HP and Compaq tend to put in cheap brands which last about 1 second longer than warranty, and price them higher than the most expensive brands.
if you want a good PC, but do not know how to build, I'd say customise at a local, small computer store that does not price things high.
what do you want this PC for?

I suggest this sort of stuff:
CPU: P4 3/3.2GHZ or Athlon 64 3200/3400
Motherboard: Asus P4P800 or K8V Deluxe
Video card: Radeon 9600 Pro or XT
Sound card: use either onboard (is with the motherboards i suggested) or get a Sound Blaster Live
Hard Drive: 80GB ATA133 or 120/160GB SATA from Seagate or Western Digital (Seagate drives are very quiet)
CD drive/s: Sony/LG/Cenyne 52x32x52 and maybe a Pioneer DVD burner (only if you think you'd need it)
Case: whatever you like provided it has at least 450W PS
Operating System: Win XP or 2000
speakers: don't get something really cheap, but not something too expensive either.
Floppy Drive if you will use it
maybe a 56K modem (if you want dial-up internet)

i plead the fifth

It's been my experience that if you have your machine built and or if you build it yourself, you can get a lot more with the cash flow that you do have. I myself built my machine and am happy with it thus far. If you have the resources to do so, definately try doing it yourself, most people know someone who works on computers to some extent, I'm sure if you and that person puts your heads together you can come up with a pretty good machine, really... all you have to do is go to a few computer stores, compare prices on parts to build with and take it from there. The main thing to remember is have fun while you are doing it or it will turn into a nightmare beyond your wildest dreams, you'll want to throw your new machine off top of a 6 story building and shoot it with an AR-15 as it falls ever so fast to the ground below. That being said, I hope I may have helped you out some. If not I'm truely sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom