Newbie upgrade questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

slowride1

Beta member
Ok I've had my PC for like 3 years now it does it's job I just want to give it a kick. I went to leap now.com to run a check this is what it came up with for my specs:

I have a Presario 5008us

Model : Presario Type 686C3

Chassis Type : Mini Tower
Chassis Serial Number : None
Operating System : Microsoft Windows Me

Your Processor :

Number Of Processors : 1
Type : Intel Celeron
Specification :
Manufacturer Codename : Coppermine
Trace Width : 0.18
Clock Speed : 798 MHz
Clock Multiplier : 8.0
Front Side Bus (FSB) Speed : 100 MHz
Processors Bus Speed : 100 MHz
L2 Cache Size : 128 KBytes
Core Stepping : cC0
Microcode Level : 8h
Mobile Clock Modulation : Not Available

Your Motherboard :

Manufacturer : Compaq
Model : 06C0h
Revision : None
CPU Slot/Socket Type : Socket 370 FC-PGA
Serial Number : None
Chipset Vendor : Intel
Chipset Model : i810E
Chipset Revision : A3
Bios Manufacturer : Compaq
Bios Version : 686C3
Bios Date : 01/04/2001

Your Memory :

Used Slots : 1 of 2
Total Memory : 128 MB of SDRAM DIMM
Frequency : PC125
CAS Latency : 2.0 clocks

I have no idea what any of this means. What i really want to do is upgrade processor and memory.

i don't want to go nuts and want to know if this is a good processor setup to go with and if it will give me any problems? And I don't have to upgrade motherboards for this right?

PL-Neo/T 1400C 100 Front Side Bus - I think this is 1.4 ghz? it's only $100.

and for memory I have no idea what kind I can upgrade to. Is there a specific kind? And is there a limit on how much memory I can get I wanted to try and upgrade to 512mb.

Any help would be appreciated thanks in advance...

I would get a pentium 4, at least 2.8ghz, 800mhzFSB
Compatiable mobo (ASUS)
at least 512 DDR memory (3200)
i think you can use the rest of your old machine and hook it up to your new mobo, but i don't know what types of drives you have and if your graphics card is a PCI or a AGP and what speed (4x or 8x).

another question, what do you plan to do with this upgrade, what do you want the computer to accomplish? is it just sluggish and you want it faster? do you want to play graphic intense games?

the other people on this forum are a lot better at giving specs and prices and advice and such. but those are my two cents.

First of all, you need more memory...at least 512MB

As far as memory goes, you can go to crucial.com and use their compatibility wizard.

No dont go to crucial. There memory is bad. I would go to Newegg.com and wait for some of there memory to go on sale or go to pricewatch.com and look for memory supported by your mobo. You will find a crazy deal on memory there. As far as your mobo gose, it depends on what your doing. For gaming you wnat to go with a AMD but if your jsut a normal user, you want to stick probally with Intel. Dont blow money on a crazy good motherboard, focus on your processor. Thats where it counts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom