Newbie with a question... how original :) Video port limitation problem?

aarondf2003

Beta member
Hello and thanks in advance for any assistance. I did a search but couldn't find an answer for this. I'm building my first PC and might have an issue with my monitor setup.

I'll have a 27" 1440x2560 (DVI only) as a primary and an HP 23" 1080x1920 (HDMI, D-Sub, DVI) as a secondary.

My motherboard is the ASRock Z77 Extreme6 and only allows two monitor connections from its four output options:
1x HDMI (supporting 1920x1200 @ 60Hz)
1x DVI (supporting 1920x1200 @ 75Hz)
1x D-Sub (supporting 2048x1536 @ 60Hz)
1x DisplayPort (supporting 2560x1600 @ 60Hz)

My graphics card is the Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 OC 3GB DDR3, also with four outputs:
1x HDMI
1x DVI
2x Mini DisplayPort

I have adapters for mini DisplayPort-to-DisplayPort, HDMI-to-DVI, DVI-to-D-Sub. However, I'm not clear on if this merely lets the connection exist, or does it also maintain the highest data transfer.

I'm not educated at all about which ports to best use for my two monitors. Should I only connect from my graphics card, one each from my motherboard and graphics card, etc? My question is - what is the best configuration of monitor-to-port for my 2 monitors so I can achieve the max resolution on both?

Thanks so much!

Most boards won't let you use onboard video when you have a videocard installed. Just use DVI with one monitor and HDMI with another monitor. Both of them are digital signal, so both of them have the same quality.

Back
Top Bottom