Newbie question about PSU

Status
Not open for further replies.

ericsjoberg

Beta member
I am starting to build my first PC and I have a question about the PSU. The first components I bought was my case (that came with the 400w PSU) and 3 case fans. I mounted the PSU and fans, pluged it in and turned the switch and nothing happens. The fan on the PSU doesnt even fire up. Shoud it? Does It need to be plugged into the mobo first?? It has a 115/230v switch on it as well, which one should I be using?? help plz!!

You need a motherboard unless you want to short out two PSU connectors.

And you use the 115 volt if your in the states, 230 for europe :)

DJ-CHRIS said:
You need a motherboard unless you want to short out two PSU connectors.

And you use the 115 volt if your in the states, 230 for europe :)

well crap. So you think that I shorted out the PSU connecters that were plugged into the fans by not having a mobo plugged in? Do you think the PSU is toast? Do you think the fans are still ok? The PSU was a cheapy that came with the case so its not a big deal. Thank you for the help!!

Your psu is not shorted, you need to get something like a paper clip and short out the green one, and I think its the one opposite it (+5v) together to get the psu to work with out a motherboard.

I would really suggest you don't use that psu any way, as it is very likley to be generic, and you could lose your whole system from it. Antec, Thermaltake, OCZ, Enermax are good ones.

Trifid said:
Your psu is not shorted, you need to get something like a paper clip and short out the green one, and I think its the one opposite it (+5v) together to get the psu to work with out a motherboard.

I would really suggest you don't use that psu any way, as it is very likley to be generic, and you could lose your whole system from it. Antec, Thermaltake, OCZ, Enermax are good ones.

Naah i tihnk you got the shorting connections wrong.

Your PS is fine, but it isnt doing anything till you get a mobo

what he meant was, if you dont have it connected to the motherbourd, nothing will happen... unless you jump 2 pins on the psu to get it started.

)note - if you jump the pins on the psu, the paperclip or whatever you use to jump it with cant touch anything else, like the metal case or whatnot.

bellow tells you witch pins to jump if you realy wont to jump it.
http://www.rosewill.com/faq/view.aspx?FaqId=53

try to connect our psu to hte board first and make sure that your power switch is also installed correctly in your mobo

yapeeyapee said:
try to connect our psu to hte board first and make sure that your power switch is also installed correctly in your mobo

Thats the thing, I dont have my mobo yet and I wanted to know how to check it to make sure it wasnt DOA. but I did jump it and it seems to work fine so I'm happy:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom