newb question about mouse installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

retroxiii

Baseband Member
okay, i just got the "logitech mx310" corded optical mouse (i don't need a hardcore gaming mouse, just needed a change from my ball mouse) and after installing the software/drivers that came with the installation cd, the optical mouse still doesnt work. it is using a usb -> ps/2 adapter.

i have a dell pc using windows xp service pack 2.

i read the instructions: have computer turned off, then plug in mouse, then turn on, insert disc, install software and it should be set from there.. but nothing :(
i also tried plugging it in without using the usb -> ps/2 adapter after restart and still no detection.

help would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance

Did you try different USB ports? uninstall the software and just plug in the mouse, you dont need software for a mouse, but I dont know why it came with it.

that's what i'm thinking too, it should recognize it when you plug it in your computer.

i uninstalled the software that came with it and took off the usb -> ps/2 adapter and tried plugging in the mouse to all the usb2.0 ports on my pc and my computer detects the mouse, but it says it is unable to locate the drivers that is "required", and doesnt fuction at all. i then tried installing the software again, but still nothing.

when i use the ADAPTER and plug it in the ps/2 port, the mouse lights up underneath, but doesnt work (even after software installation).

i went to my control panel (using my keyboard), under mouse properties to see if it has been detected but it shows nothing.

when i just plug it in raw (usb2.0) the mouse gets detected (with the message that it doesnt work) and it does NOT light up.

i know the mouse can't be broken as it lights up when i plug it in using the adapter, but i have no idea wtf is going on.

other usb devices that i have such as media card readers and digital cameras are all plug n' play and work perfectly, and i was assuming that would be the case for this mouse but i guess not.

any more help? thanks again.

(frustration is kicking in)

Are you sure your USB ports are working and PS2?

With every mouse, I plug it in, and the basic functions work. I think the mouse is probolly broken

^ yes, all my usb2.0 ports are working fine. my ps/2 port is fine also as the "stock" dell ball mouse works perfectly.

well the logitech optical mouse that i got lights up underneath when plugged in the ps/2 port, but i tried moving it and right clicking to see if something would happen but i get no response whatsoever..

would having windows xp service pack 2 be the problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom