New WestDigit 80GB wouldn't work on a PII 400

Status
Not open for further replies.

Discusman

In Runtime
I have a PII 400 with 128MB ram pc home. The pc comes with a 4.8GB HD, it is really small since I am going to install XP on this machine.

Therefore, I bought a brand new 80GB WesternDigit for this machine. The computer hangs and wouldn't boot after I connected 80GB.

I set the jumper to Single or Master on the 80GB, it still doesn't work.

The 80GB HD works fine with my Dell P4 and my PII 400 works fine with my old SeaGate 4.8GB HD.

Can someone help?

Look for a bios upgrade from the motherboard, to support larger HDs, if not you will need to get an ATA/100 IDE PCI Card.

I had the same problem with a computer. I ended up having to get a PCI IDE card

I don't think u'll be able to run that hdd this machine .. even if u update the bios .. i would suggest the ATA PCi card itself

preet2u said:
I don't think u'll be able to run that hdd this machine .. even if u update the bios .. i would suggest the ATA PCi card itself

I did not think so either, but since he did not go into what board it was I did not want to assume. I have seen one board that was an MSI P2 board, that the bios upgrade supported the larger HDs, but it was one of the later P2 boards, that also had ATA100 support. But that is the only one I have seen.

The disk translation software that came with the hard drive should allow you to run that drive even in a PC that doesnt support large hard drives. Have you tried that yet? If you don't have the disk, you should be able to get it from the hard drive manufacturers website.
-Target

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom