New WD 40gig 5400 RPM OEM Wont Boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

redF7sp

Beta member
I'm building a new computer from scratch for a customer. The computer is.

Biostar M7VIG MB with built in Audio and Video
AMD XP1800+ Retail
128 MB P2100 crucial RAM
Liteon CD-ROM
300Watt PS
and a

Western Digital OEM 5400rpm 40gig HD

No matter what I do I can't get it to boot. I bought two identical HDs and both do the same thing. I've tried intalling both win98 and winXP Pro(the OS i was planning to use) I built another computer with identical parts except for a 20gig Seagate 7200rpm which had no problems. I also tried hooking the WD up to my computer and it wont boot on there either. I've tried different cables which doesn't seem to make a difference. I can partiton, format, and copy the startup files to the disk then after reboot it with XP it just goes back into the setup deal. I've double checked my BIOS setting and they are fine so thats not the problem. I would appreciate any help you can give me and thank you in advance.

maybe the drive is toast, bring it back and tell the people where you bought it and get a new one

The drive is fine. Like I said I have two identical drives and they both do the same thing. I used the other one as a slave HD in another computer after trying to get that one to work to on this computer and it works fine there. It had the files that XP setup had copied to it. Its gotta be something with the MBR or something like that. Thanks for the reply though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom