A new twist on SLI

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did see that the card did not have a sli connector to put two of them together but with SLI do you really think anyone's gonna stick to 2 video cards?? I'm sure there will be people that want 3 or 4 cards and someone will make them to satisfy the demand someday.
I thought it was an interesting solution for 3 reasons...

1) The 2 GPU's on the single 6600GT Gigabyte card ARE SLI'd.
but only uses 1 slot on a SLI Board.
2) It will beat out a single 6800 ULTRA
3) It will be less than a single 6800 ULTRA or high end Radeon

(Of course we will have to wait and see the benchmarks and real cost to see if these are true)

I agree with you Nubius about trying to make higher quality, faster cards then just adding cards or GPU chips.

You know in a year there will be a single card that will outgun any SLI'd 6800's anyway. And it will probably cost less than the SLI setup in the first place but I always like to see what companies have cooking.

you cannot use 2 dual core 6600's on one motherboard, but you can use 2 normal 6600's (not dual core) on one motherboards provided they're both PCI-E and the motherbaord supports it

although I think thge dual core would be easier than 2 x normal 6600's because it means you're only using 1 card, but have twice the power as you'd normally have with 1 card

GeckoEcho - You need to calm down. The only person who you were miscommunicating between was P.P Mcguire, everyone else acknowledged the fact that you can't have two dual gpu 6600's....no one questioned this... so stuff like this

You guys dont read. I CLEARLY stated you cant have TWO dual 6600 gt's on ONE motherboard. Why? THEY DON'T HAVE SLI SLOTS. Btw, "Read to achieve".
Won't be tolerated. "Read to achieve" is a smartass comment that no one cares to hear. If you want to be a sarcastic jerk take it somewhere else or talk to the person you're referring to elsewhere if they care too.

What's cool? Btw, your forum is wayyy too dark
Crap like this also isn't need. He's saying 'cool' to the Dual GPU 6600GT...that's his response to what the thread is about.

Beyond that, there's no reason at all why you need to then go out of your way to make a personal attack on his forums. If you can't say something nice or useful, then nobody wants to hear it.

GeckoEcho421 said:
You guys dont read. I CLEARLY stated you cant have TWO dual 6600 gt's on ONE motherboard. Why? THEY DON'T HAVE SLI SLOTS. Btw, "Read to achieve".

Yes you can. http://www.behardware.com/articles/536/page6.html . No one knows enough about the dual GPU cards to know if they may be made SLI in the future. By the way, that link I posted shows that two SLI 6600GTs are generally not as quick as one 6800GT, so this new card won't be anything too spectacular. Not all 6600GTs have SLI slots, IIRC even some of the PCI-Express ones don't, so if you plan to SLI, make sure first.

http://www.hothardware.com/viewarticle.cfm?page=6&articleid=612&cid=2 shows some performance of 6800 SLIs on 3dmark05. Dual 6800 Ultras get 9210 (single get 5191).

The reason why the dual ultras are about even with a single high grade radeon are because it's limited by the power of the cpu.

I agree with nubius when he said hed rather see this area of computing making progress in the form of better technology that is smaller and faster and better without having to be something only the wealthy can afford like having to buy 2 ridiculously expensive graphics cards and an expensive sli capable motherboard, but i also have to say that I like the fact that this is happening because it is still making progress. eventually all things new and state of the art become older and cheaper. maybe not cheap but cheaper. this also leads to other technologies and i believe can only help not hurt. manufacturers know that their consumers want the most power for the best price and while they cant always succeed in delivering they will do best for themselves the closer they get to that so all of this new technology while, for some like myself, is still a lotto ticket away from happening, will benefit us in the long run. even if its like an amd-intel thing where intel made such huge leaps in the mhz wars that amd had to find other ways to compete. we all see that they did in a major way with great performance for less price. these same results can happen elsewhere as well.

GeckoEcho421 said:
The reason why the dual ultras are about even with a single high grade radeon are because it's limited by the power of the cpu.

Dual 6800 Ultras are a lot faster than any high end Radeon. Did you not look at the benchmarks I linked to? Note especially Doom3.

quote:Originally posted by GeckoEcho421

Dual 6800 Ultras are a lot faster than any high end Radeon. Did you not look at the benchmarks I linked to? Note especially Doom3.

??. A single 6800 ultra is as fast a the x800 xt pe and when it is stacked to SLI, it is not even a competition.

and Gecko, a radeon with the technology right now aren't as fast as two 6800 ultras like i said before. You are truely overestimating the power of Radeon and underestimating the power of 6800 ultras.

to get this straight, a radeon x800 XT PE is almost equal to the 6800 ULTRA and also, any nvidia cards that are made in to SLI are faster than either the x800 XT PE or the 6800 ULTRA

SLI is overrated.
Here here...I second that ;)

Personally I think AMD64's are overrated right now. The new techologies are ahead of the software and in the case of SLI it's just ridiculous. Just another marketing ploy to say who's better but no real mid-range user could ever afford that. And what kind of BS is that, that you're basically doomed to never see graphic settings of High unless the games been out 3 years and you finally can afford the good card.... BAH I say :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom