new system - what to consider - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 07-28-2004, 02:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default new system - what to consider

i need your help. i am not a techy guy. i am trying to buy a new pc. i am not sure whether i should go with INTEL or AMD. i'll be using it mostly for gaming. i heard AMD is good for gaming.

i just wanna know why AMD is good and which one AMD 64,Xp or Duron. I am note sure which one i should buy.??

ALSO please do tell me abouta good mother board too.

thanx in advance

Old 07-28-2004, 02:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

amd duron, god, that thing is in the grave.

buy amd 64 if you got the dough, else buy the xp.

Old 07-28-2004, 02:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

can somebody tell me what¹s the main difference in AMD and INTEL.

and also i am not sure about the HDD

hey guyshelp me out
Old 07-28-2004, 03:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Go with AMD64 if you have the money, but if you don't you'll be pretty good off with a 3.2 or lower P4 If your really broke then a AMD Athlon XP will be fine

The AMD64 is better for gaming because of its onboard memory controller and more efficient pipeline. Don't be fooled by the P4's higher clockspeed because it is far less efficient

I would recommend either a AMD64 3000+ OR 3200+

The basic rule of thumb is AM64>P4>Athlon XP

As for Hard drives, you should get a 8mb 7200rpm drive, either Seagate or Western Digital are fine Capacity is up to you and your needs If you have money to burn and want max performance you could get a 10,000rpm drive, but unless you buy dual drives, your basicly stuck at 74gb capacity

Any other questions? Just ask

<marquee scrollamount=4 bgcolor=\"#000000\">Desktop: 3.0ghz HT 800fsb P4, Chaintech 9CJS Zenith, 2x 512mb GEIL Dual Channel DDR400, 80gb 7200rpm ATA HD, Sapphire X800 XT Platinum Edition, Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS, Logitech Z-5300e 5.1 THX Speakers, Turbolink 420watt PSU, Black 19\" Orion Monitor, Logitech MX Duo and Win XP Home</marquee>
<marquee scrollamount=4 bgcolor=\"#000000\">My Wishlist: 74gb 10K SATA Western Digital Raptor...</marquee>
Old 07-28-2004, 03:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lord Techie
Send a message via AIM to beedubaya

AMD has shorter pipeline infrastructure which means data can be processed faster than an intel at the same clock speed. Get the AMD 64, because when 64-bit hits, that chip will have a huge edge that current intel chips won't have.
Old 07-28-2004, 04:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

well thanx guys.
but one this is bothering me. i called AMD and asked them the specs. they said go for AMD XP. But now i would go for AMD 64 as you guys said.

well thanx and please tell me if there are other things that i should consider too.

Closed Thread