New System/Temps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackmoore

Daemon Poster
Well I finally got my beast of a system together. Let me tell you, it was a pain in the butt. After about five hours of trying to get everything in and working I finally got it together. But the machine is awesome. I just played Farcry, the game that came with my 6800 and im running it in the highest settings and I don't notice any slow down. Also let me mention that the Abit boards sure can take a beating. I wasn't exactly being easy on it when I was installing the various components. The Scorpio Case was not in the condition I have come to expect from Newegg. When I got it, the side panel was all bent where it screws in, and it didn't fit right. Also the front panel had like three of the knobs broken off that hold it on. It doesn't really matter now, because the drives hold it in, and I just bent the side panel to fit again, didn't want to wait to send it back, plus it was only $40.00, so no big deal. Overall I am very pleased with what I got. The installation was fairly simple, except for some newbie mistakes that cost me a little time. I would recommend the eVGA 6800 to anyone, its well worth the money. I think im going to try and do the Step-Up and get the GT. I also want to get a 10k RPM drive, but thats later. Anyways, I have been going over the system temps, and the CPU is running at a cool 39 degrees Celcius, with the stock fan, and some Artic Silver 5, and the system is running at 30 degrees celcius. My questions are, should I add more fans, I have 2 exaust, 1 intake, and 3 in the PSU, and is it worth it to go out and pick up a better heat sink and fan, to ensure that the CPU is never hotter than it should be? I don't think I will ever overclock this machine, because of lack of experiance. But I may want to try it in the future, who knows.

I think that's a perfectly fine temp for stock heatsink with an AMD 64....I have an AMD 2400+ XP that I've had to install a crapload of fans, the SLK-900A heatsink, AS5, and a vantec tornado on just to get it down to 39C idle.....good thing is though, that it dissipates heat REALLY quickly....what are your load temps? My load temps only go up like 2 degrees because I have a total of 9 case fans, the vantec tornado on the CPU and the 2 in the PSU to equal a total of 12 fans altogether in my system (trying to get worklog and pics up by this weekened :D ) So I think my chip seems to be running hotter than most peoples, but for the most part you got good temps....can't hurt to add any other fans, the biggest change would come from getting an aftermarket heatsink. When I had stock heatsink and fan, with a normal case, no fans and the sidepanel open my CPU was at 64C Idle...god knows what it was hitting while gaming...so yeah it's taken me a lot just to get it down to where it is and you're is lower than mine on a higher end system with more stuff in it =/ BTW yeah I was gonna get that exact same eVGA card, 1. cause eVGA is the bomb and 2 cause at the time it came with farcry which it no longer does...I have far cry....but not 'legally' soooo yeah I wanted it officially lol.

If you only have 1 intake I'd suggest having it on the rear so the fresh air is blown over the CPU...it's almost better to have a little more exhaust than intake unless you can get the exhaust/intake perfect to one another, but ya gotta get that heat out :D IMO Your temps are fine, but there's always room for improvement :) Just for the sake that you have a nice system I'd get an aftermarket heatsink.

I went an loaded a game of Battlefield Vietnam in the highest settings, and the temp never got above 48 degrees Celcius. But I think I still want to change the HSF just because I don't ever want to loose my system to heat, and it just makes it look nicer :)

See what I mean though? Your temps go up 9-10 degrees on full load...that's because (partly) of your heatsinks inability to get absorb the heat fast enough.....I'm currently at 42C cause it's day time and if I game it won't go above 44C...only a 2 degree increase.....that's because I have a solid copper heatsink which absorbs the heat a lot more quickly than stock heatsink which is generally aluminum with copper core if you're lucky. But then again also I have exhaust and intake like a muddafudda so that helps too :p

Nubius, I have a couple of questions for you.

1) How did you combine a 512MB memory stick with a 256 MB?

2) What kind of case do you have that holds that many fans and is
it unbelievably loud?

Yeah, really Nubius. It MUST be a full tower case to have that many. 12?!?! It's got to be a full tower.

The ram speeds do make a difference. Its just the ram will only run as fast as the slowest dimm, if I am correct, which in his case is PC2700.

1) How did you combine a 512MB memory stick with a 256 MB?
What do you mean? You just put them in there. Different sizes don't make them incompatible and neither does different brands....plus the 256 is PC2700 and the 512 is PC3200 but like I said my CPU is only 266 FSB which is PC2100 RAM, but my motherboard put my ram at 2x199 for 398 just 2 shy of the 400MHz of the PC3200

2) What kind of case do you have that holds that many fans and is
it unbelievably loud?

To answer both yours and regulus's :D I had to mod my case. I have been telling ag3 (formerly agex000) of this for sometime and showed him a pic of my plans. I have pictures of the work and the case just need to get the film developed. It's not a full tower by the way :p Only one rear fan. It's 12 fans only after you count the 2 in the PSU and 1 on the CPU, 9 'Case' Fans...2 are blower styles, the jet7 and aero 7 by coolermaster. Here's the plans to my case:

Casemod-Plans.jpg

I'm gonna try and have a worklog and pics up this weekend hopefully :D

no i dont think nubius's case came with that many fan ports... i remember he said that hed done some modding to his case to get more fans put in the rite place :)

EDIT: AHHH NUBIUS BEAT MY POST BY A FEW SECONDS :( lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom