New system running too hot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

glennl

Baseband Member
Hey all, new to board and new to computer nerdery :)

just built my first system from scratch and i am just a little concerned with the heat. it's not terrible, but much hotter than my old system. Granted there's a lot more going on in the new system...

basic info:

Abit mother board
P4 3.0Ghz
512mb Ram
450w power supply.

i only have the power supply fan and the processor fan. i got a pci slot fan too but it's not currently installed.

it doesn't seem to be OVERheating, but putting my hand by the power supply fan outlet is like putting it next to a space heater!

how do i know how hot is too hot and is there a way to monitor heat inside the case? also will the extra fan help or will it just blow the heat around more? Thanks in advance!

So er, what is the temperature?

~70 is too hot, 60 is still too hot, 50's is ok for load.

Adding a fan will help, make sure you have the same intake and exhaust.

well i guess that's part of the problem. i don't know how to monitor the temp. also, the PCI fan i talked about is intake which i guess would help to balance things out a bit... but how do i know what the temp is now?

Boot up the computer and start pounding DEL (might be F1, F2 or ESC) to enter the BIOS utility, which will give you temperature readouts.

he was talking above in celsius, ur talking farenheitt. But anyway, 102 F is 38.88888 (repeating) celsius. i think ur okay.

okay, case is 35 celsius, CPU is 49C.

just installed the auxiliary PCI slot fan, it's taking air from inside the case and blowing it out the back, as is the PSU fan. should i look into an intake fan for better circulation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom