New System For DAD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megadeth2

Daemon Poster
I recently bought a Pentium 4 520 based computer with DDR2 and PCIe support.

My DAD needs a new computer, but he would save more money by getting a single Xeon configuration. This is because he pulled out 2 GB DDR333 Reg ECC out of a server at his work that was going to be junked. He has 4 x 36.6 GB Ultra 320 SCSI HDD and an Ultra 320 SCSI controller on PCI-X.

The problem is that I'm not very educated on Intel Xeons. He isn't very educated on Xeons either since he has only used Itaniums and Itanium 2s. However, he does know the Xeons are powerful and popular.

My question is to you guys: Can anyone configure an Intel Xeon system in single configuration (I know mobos are dual) for me? I would prefer if someone could configure an Intel Xeon Prestonia and an Intel Xeon Nocona for me. Thank you.

P.S. My DAD has been considering the 875P chipset that has support for the Noconas, but it is AGP. Is PCIe even necessary in an SQL/Oracle/Programming workstation? My DAD doesn't game on his computer (he never did on his Pentium III 1.0 GHz), but he does on my computer. Any help would be much appreciated, thanks again!

Edit: P.S. He needs the following components:
Case w/ PSU
Processor
Motherboard (Should have audio, firewire, usb2.0, network)
Graphics Card
DVD +/- RW
Floppy Drive
Put in anything else I might not have mentioned except for mouse, kb, and monitor, and speakers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom