new speeds of RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

regeisle

In Runtime
I am planning to build a system in the next month or so around the P4 2.8ghz 800mhz fsb. I had things mapped out, and was going to start with 512 of PC3200 ram, eventually going to a gig or 2. Now I'm seeing that 3200 is showing some age, with speeds up to 4400. Budget is somewhat flexible, so I don't mind paying a little more to get a good boost in performance. Is it worth it to jump up from 3200? What else do I need to consider if I go with the newer ram? does the P4 mentioned above support higher ram? looking to spend around $125 for a motherboard... can I get a good board that supports the new ram for this price range? most boards i've looked at top out at DDR400. any advice is appreciated. thanks!

Anything rated at over 3200 is meant for overclocking. It has been tested to run at higher clock speeds, thus the higher number.

If you aren't planning on OC'ing major, just get some good quality, name brand PC3200 ram..that has been tested with whichever motherboard you choose.

As bleep said, these RAM sticks are meant for OC. The 3200 is meant for 800 FSB while the 4400 is for 1.1 GHz FSB. In order to achieve these speeds, they had to compromise with the latency timing of the RAM. If your planning on any major OC, then you got to think of cooling as well as your RAM, if not, get 2 sticks of good quality 3200 RAM with low latency timings used in dual channel mode

Actually i went to intels website trying to find the right ram for my comp i wanted a d875 mobo for my pent 3.2c and it said the actual best ram is 333MHz not 400 (pc3200) as i would expect for 800 MHz FSB, it states that the 333MHz is most efficient for 800FSB and wont lag like 400 will?? Thats didnt make sense to me any input guys>?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom