New Processor

Status
Not open for further replies.

2Crunk

In Runtime
I have an HP Pavillion model 304w upgraded with 640MB RAM. My processor is an AMD Athlon XP 1800+. I want to upgrade my processor with a newer one that costs less than $300. What can i use that will be compatible with my computer?

You have to know what your motherboard's capability is. You should be able to go up to Athlon XP 2500+ . Look at the manual to see how high it can support.

Usually it's best to buy a new proccesor, motherboard and memory at the same time, unless you upgrade frequently (like once a month). If you don't you may experience some bottlenecks between your hardware.

You can probably get a decent XP proccesor, motherboard and memory for around 300 bucks.

I bought the computer 2 years ago and do not know where the manuals are. Is there a web-site i can go to, to look up the info on it?

Download and install CPU-Z, which will tell you what type of motherboard your computer has installed. You can then google the motherboard, or better yet, search the manufacturers site for the product specs, which should specify what your motherboard will support.

And just for fun.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=19-103-506&depa=1
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-131-486&depa=1
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-146-996&depa=1

Seems like computre technology change so much in a year or two. I can't wait for the dual core challenge between Intel and AMD to take place. Both sides are scrambling now to get theirs out. If dual core becomes popular to the consumer level and programs written can take advantage of multiple threads, that's when I will be upgrading again.

You should get an amd 2500+ mobile because it is basically a potential 3200+ barton core, just up the fsb to 200Mhz and you are set.

Overclocker, quit suggesting that to people without fully informing them of whats needed. It's not just a magical processor that can be set to 200 without problems.

I'm pasting this from another thread I addressed this in:

"Not if his board won't allow him to lock the AGP bus, inwhich it'll then be pointless to buy that CPU being that the only way he could OC is by raising the Multiplier which is pretty much guaranteed to be locked on that CPU.

Don't suggest that CPU unless you can give full details on what they need to OC it and what they should expect.

The XP-M's are the best overclockers with unlocked multipliers, low voltages and low heat, BUT you still gotta be able to lock the AGP bus.

If you can lock your AGP bus then your best bet is to get a 45w 2600+ XP-M , change the FSB from 133 to 200 in the BIOS and then up the multiplier for a higher clock speed if you so wish to do so

I suggest if you even remotely consider OC'ing an option then read the 'Basics to Overclocking' sticky at the top so you know what I'm talking about when I say AGP bus"

The best OC'ers are the mobiles, not the 2500+ XP albeit it's still a good OC'ing chip, the absolute best are mobiles. For reasons inwhich I explained above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom