New pc assembly help - Page 3 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 02-08-2005, 07:10 PM   #21 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Pilotwings119 Send a message via Yahoo to Pilotwings119

wow sorry... i cant help anymore- i just gave that input because you mentioned it earlier

Old 02-08-2005, 07:40 PM   #22 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Well it would be nice to not have all dangly bits and features that dont work I'll keep trawling the net and wiggling all the bits until I can get it to work. I just know it is something really stupid, like not plugging the power in or summat

Old 02-08-2005, 07:57 PM   #23 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Dude, double check and make sure that 20 pin psu plug is going in the right way. The psu manual should have a diagram as well as the mobo manual. Match them up.

BE HEARD - Techonvent
DS3 | E6400 - 3.2GHz 24/7 | 2GB OCZ PLat. PC6400 | 6800GT | Zippy 460W
What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left.
Old 02-08-2005, 08:47 PM   #24 (permalink)
Junior Techie

just to prove how rubbish I am at all this, I just checked my RAM and found, to my surprise, that they wern't slotted in properly, they were just resting on thier slots. So I rammed them in, clicked it shut, made triple sure the case power lights and button connectors were pushed in just right, and gave her a whirl. Only to have the same thing happen, no difference

Oh, and I didn't mean to offend Pilotwings, I just meant I wasn't sure what was stopping this thing from running, and any input and help is very helpful for a n00b as green as me
Old 02-08-2005, 11:01 PM   #25 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Hecubus28

I would just try to hook up the bare minimum to get it to post. Only things you have to have are the Video card, I would just use one stick of ram, and the processor. Unhook everything else. If you can't get to the bios you either have something not hooked up right on the board, or your processor, motherboard, memory or video card is dead.
Old 02-09-2005, 06:07 AM   #26 (permalink)
Junior Techie

*sigh*, would you believe the power and IDE LED connector was labeled wrong? After much annoyance with this thing, I decided to just tap a screwdriver onto the connectors, see if the buttons at the front didn't work at all. And success, everything lights up. So no I need to shut this one down, and highjack its monitor, keyboard and mouse, I'll post back after
Old 02-09-2005, 07:00 AM   #27 (permalink)
Monster Techie

i always though the extra 4 connectors were for the pci-e power and didnt know u could bodge it to work without them :S
2x 7800GTX in SLI for 20" viewsonic
OCZ 600watt power supply
www.angelic-accessories.co.uk - plug for my gfs site
Old 02-09-2005, 09:23 AM   #28 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Ooops. I've struck a problem. I couldnt get my XP pro to be recogonised on it, so I was going to put 98 in, and then xp over the top of 98 after, but when settingup 98 it had to format the new hard disk. But it got stuck on 1 percent, so I restarted it and now it won't recognise the harddisk at all, or maybe it does but it tells me to contact my hardware manafactuer. And it keeps making a clicking noise now
Old 02-09-2005, 11:29 AM   #29 (permalink)
Junior Techie

"Solution 1
Turn off your computer system and disconnect the data cable to the drive that is making the noise. Do NOT remove the power cable. Turn your computer system back on. If the clicking noise still persists, your drive is defective and needs to be replaced. Please see Answer ID 8 for details about product replacement. If the drive does not make the same clicking noise, then you have a faulty cable. Replace the data cable."

I found this on the WD site. I tried it, and it still makes the clicking noise. Does that mean I'm stuffed?
Old 02-09-2005, 11:36 AM   #30 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Could it also be that he needs an sata driver disk in when installing xp? I used media center addition which comes with service pack 2 so I didn't have any problem, but I have heard other people need a driver disk to get an sata drive installed.

BE HEARD - Techonvent
DS3 | E6400 - 3.2GHz 24/7 | 2GB OCZ PLat. PC6400 | 6800GT | Zippy 460W
What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left.
Closed Thread