New Notebook Specs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flelmo

Beta member
I'm getting a new notebook for the fall. I've done some pricing, and cyberpowersystem.com has the best price I've found so far. My biggest issue is I'm not very up to date on Notebook hardware. Will this loadout run the latest games (Battlefield 2/Half-Life 2/Doom 3), and how soon will it be obsolete? Also, does anyone have a comparable model with a better price?

15.4" WXGA wide screen (1280x800 max)
AMD Mobile Athlon 64 3400+ w/ HTT
1 GB 400 MHz DDR
40 GB 5400 RPM HD (HD size is not a huge deal for me, but 40 is the lowest I'd like to go)
ATI Mobile Radeon 9700 128 MB
DVD/CDRW Combo drive (not DVDRW)
Built in WLAN
Built in 3in1 Media Reader
3 USB ports
Firewire port
No OS

$1212

Thanks in advance.

if u want to run future games, i would suggest getting a GeForce 6800 Go card. I would also recommend monarch computers over cyber

Just looked at Monarch Computers, and they don't have prebuilt notebooks. I'm not real into building a notebook piecemeal, it doesn't look cost-effective enough.

if u want to go from cyber, then i would definitly recommend upgrading to a 6800 Go card.

FYI...gaming notebooks are usually big, clunky, run HOT, and burn out in about an hour. Unless ur mobile, a desktop would be much better

I'm commuting to college, which gives me power points, table space, and plenty of downtime between classes, but not so much permanent space. Notebook is definitely the way I want to go.

As for the retailer, I'm not married to cyber. I just would rather have a notebook shipped to me that I don't have to put together myself. If you consider some other company better, I'm all ears. PM me if you don't want to post it. And that goes for anyone.

SHAWN said:
I would def go with a better video card. either the 6600GT or the 6800GT / Ultra.

its a notebook, as far as i know, there are no 6800 GTs or 6600 GTs for notebooks. there is a 6800 Go and a 6800 Ultra Go though

um the 9700 isn't future proof at all and it can only play those games at lower settings

the 9700 is already outdated

if you want a futureproof laptop, you're gonna have to get a 6800 ultra go

I guess the consensus is the 6800 go. I might as well build my own notebook then. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom