New motherboard and vid card tips

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toshiro

In Runtime
Due to a recent accident, the motherboard in my main computer (the eMachines mentioned in my sig) burnt, and I need a replacement. Provided my processor and RAM are fine (my drives are fine, I've tested them, but have no way of testing the processor or RAM stick yet), I should be fine getting an equivalent combination of motherboard and video card. I was using the integrated 64MB Intel Extreme Graphics 3D from the motherboard, but that's gone now, so I'm trying to find a cheap, good videocard to replace it.

I've been browsing NewEgg.com for suitable replacements and have found a few I'm considering. I'm going for the most bang for the buck (I figure as long as I'm at it, I'll try to upgrade a little, but staying within a moderate range so I don't go out of my compatibilities).

Finding a motherboard with equal or better features is cake, but it's the video I'm worrying about. I want to get a 128 MB AGP card, but I don't have much of an idea where else to start. I've got $40 to $50 set aside for the motherboard (haven't picked out the exact one yet but NewEgg's got a lot of promising ones for cheap). I'd like to find an AGP vid card for $55 or less, with 128 MB, standard single VGA port, and preferrably a TV-out port, but I don't want something that's gonna crap out on me or wont be reliable at all. I've heard it's best to avoid SE types, but if there's nothing else, that's what I'll go with.

The only games I play are Ragnarok Online, Halo, and Red Alert 2 (all of which worked flawlessly with my old setup), thus I don't need anything fancy... just want basic functionality.

So, any tips for brands or series or specific cards? I'll keep looking and post what I've decided on later, maybe I can get some opinions on that...?

i was just doing the same earlyer today... i was looking fora cheep but decent vid card for my moms comp, if she wonted a new one that is.

and i came up with this... Link

if someone knows of a better cheep vidcard for the price, then please inform us.

EDIT: o yea, the card in the link id imajine is prolly much faster then your integrated 64mb's.

I like it..... I'd just have to make sure to get a mobo with an AGP 8x slot instead of a 4x.... hmmm

EDIT: Oh yeah, the mobo... should I go with AMD or Intel?

8x agp would prolly perform better, but the Vid card's specs show that it supporst 1x/2x/4x/ and 8x... so its not manditory to use 8x if u dont care.

it depends, wat u mostly use your pc for?

games benifit from AMD.

but Vidoe capturing/editing/converting benifits from Intell.

im not shur witch performs better for word processing/web browsing, but i know AMD is cheaper in comparison.
------------------------------------------------------------------
since i use the comp for mostly games/multimedia. id get AMD.

did u not care about reusing your 2.2 celeron though?

I do some very mild gaming, and I'd like to do video editing stuff (partly why I want a TV-out port) but it's not important and I don't have any real plans in that area, so....

then I'll check out AMD... and good (about the vid card supporting the lower types) cuz I couldn't find many mobos meeting what I needed but having 8x, as well.

And as for the 2.2Ghz Celeron, I've got no attachments to it except that I don't have the money to buy all this AND a new processor... I'll only get a new one if my old one is toast (I dearly hope it isn't, though >.<)

I'll probably end up sticking with Intel mobo though

EDIT!!!:

I'm gonna go ahead and go with this vid card.
(the one jolancer linked to)

And I'm thinking of going with this motherboard.

Any comments or suggestions?

oh and slightly off topic but still relevant... what differences do chipsets make? I've never gotten that... like... what aspects do chipsets affect?

this is the short list of motherbourd manufacturers that iv acumulated, witch ppl have said are the most reliable -- Asus, Abit, MSI, Gigabyte, and Chaintech.

so u may wont to get this one instead -> Link

Note- u need a microATX mobo right?

I like that board except the one I found had all four rear USB ports (which I need, because I only have two ports on the front of the case).

I will check out finding some of those brands instead, though.

Thanks for all the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom