New Motherboard, No Display Though. Please Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidWatersUGP

Baseband Member
Alright, some of you may have seen my previous topic. I did find out that the motherboard was defective so I have a new one.

Anyways, I have a new Pentuim 4 3.0Ghz 800Mhz FSB HT 1MB Cache (Processor is not the problem) and a PC-CHIPS M950 motherboard. The motherboard works, it powers up, and it has worked before from the friend of mine I bought it from...we tested it right before we bought it to. I bought it from him right after he bought it, so no problems there.

I boot up with a min. config. of just the CPU, RAM, video card, etc, but my problem is that there is no display! I've tried atleast 2 video cards. I plugged an old GeForce2 MMX video card into the AGP slot, but from the lights on the card, I think the card is too old to run on the new AGP slot. It's an old card lol. But I've also tried my PCI ATI Radeon 7000 32MB card and I still get no display. i'm running out of ideas...can anyone help me? I've been trying to get my new upgrade working sinse Fri and I need to get this working very soon! I'm assuming a new video card is needed mabye...but my father wont let me spend anymore money, I've had to buy extra things already. I hope the ATI card will work though...

Thanks!
David Waters

i told you b4. the new mobo don't accept 2x

they accept 8x, maybe 4x.
the old ones will fit but won't work

Yeah the GeForce 2 400 MMX is AGP 4X and I can tell it does not work because a orange light comes on over the AGP 4X light.

But as far as the PCI video card I'm trying to use instead (ATI Radeon 7000 32MB) that wont work either?

If I need to get a new video card, what do I look for to insure that it will work with this new motherboard. I'm suprised the ATI wont pull it off...

Thanks for your help so far,
David

I have 3 old video cards laying around. an ati and 2 nvidia's. they don't work in the new mobo's, but they are fine in the old mobo's

I have never installed a pci video card, but i do know you have to go into the bios to change the video from AGP

Ohh I see. Yeah I have two PCI video cards...simple one's jsut for showing video, and they wont work.

Last thing: Because I can't see anything on the monitor...I cant go into the Bios to change it from AGP...so I'm going to have to get an AGP 8X Card? I'm just double checking. Are they're any affordable AGP 8X cards? I dont need the latest ATI X800 lol. I just hope I can find a simple AGP 8X at the CompUSA over here. Let me know.

Thanks vance43211, I really appericate it.

If all else fails, I just had this happen last month, be 100% sure your motherboard is NOT touching anything metal inside the case. Remove the board and reinstall it, be sure to use the plastic ground screws that they send you with the board. This is EXACTLY what happened to me.

lol the AGP 8X cards are really not cheap at all. I think my motherboard will suport the newer AGP 4x cards too, I hope lol.

You said that I can change a BIOS setting from AGP to PCI. I wonder if my friend can bring his AGP 8X graphics card over, and I can change that setting, then use my PCI video card...hmm....

Raphael Argus said:
If all else fails, I just had this happen last month, be 100% sure your motherboard is NOT touching anything metal inside the case. Remove the board and reinstall it, be sure to use the plastic ground screws that they send you with the board. This is EXACTLY what happened to me.

Yeah it's running right behind me right now..When I screw it in the case it will only stay on for a little bit. It's like 50% out of the case right now and it runs fine. I hope I can put it all the way without any probs, I think I have an idea for that too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom