New monitor thoughts - should I upgrade? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 12-31-2004, 05:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Default New monitor thoughts - should I upgrade?

I have a 21" flat screen Compaq trinitron CRT monitor on my desk. I really like the monitor but it is a large beastly thing. Some of the new LCD flatscreens, especially the widescreens, look incredibly sweet. However, they are also incredibly expensive.

Can anybody tell me of some really good "gaming" LCD widescreen monitors which are 21+ inches and reasonably priced ($500 realm)?

I am thinking I am going to need to wait a couple of years for the prices to come down...

Old 12-31-2004, 06:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
ID.10T

Send a message via AIM to ohGrFreak Send a message via Yahoo to ohGrFreak

wow, a gaming LCD (16 or 12 ms) over 21 inches, for under 500. no, no i cannot suggest any that cheap because i have never heard of them that big, that fast and that cheap. i have never even seen a sloooow LCD that big that cheap. you might have to stick with a 19 inch. but the good thing is about 19 LCD's is that they are really 19 inch viewable, as where your 21 inch CRt may only be 20 inch viewable.

I suggest either Viewsonic or BenQ LCDs, they both have 19 inchers with either 16 or 12 ms refresh rates.

Old 12-31-2004, 06:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Send a message via AIM to YourPrinter

if your gaming just keep the one you have
Old 12-31-2004, 08:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Techie

Send a message via AIM to Rizinc4

Just gonna copy and paste something I said a while ago, it is on this same topic:

LCD Pro/Con
Pros:

* Takes up Little Space on Desktop
* Light Weight
* Energy Efficient
* Causing Less Eye Fatigue

Cons:

* Expensive
* Blurry Images Outside Native Resolution
* Motion Blur on Fast Moving Images
* Washed Out Colors

CRT Pro/Con
Pros:

* Inexpensive
* Multisync Capable
* High Refresh Rates
* Color Clarity and Depth

Cons:

* Large Footprint on Desktop
* Very Heavy
* Use Large Amounts of Energy
* Generate Excess Heat

CRTs have multisync capability. This allows the electron gun inside the tube to adjust itself to various resolutions and refresh rates. This is very desirable if you have any need to display multiple resolutions. Games are a common area where multiple resolutions are useful. New games that may tax your computer at higher resolutions can be scaled down to lower resolutions.

The high refresh rates and response times of CRT monitors also makes them ideal for video purposes. Since the tubes are based on the same technology that is used in television sets, it makes sense that the video display of a monitor is better able to reproduce the fluid motion of video playback on the CRT.

Finally, the color clarity of CRT monitors cannot be matched by an LCD screen. With the myriad of adjustments that can be made to the contrast, brightness and hues, CRT monitors are better able to represent actual document colors. This is extremely important for individuals who work in either print or graphics industries. Having an accurate reproduction of the color of a document on the screen when it is printed can save a huge amount of hassle when it comes time to have documents published.
Old 12-31-2004, 10:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by Rizinc4

LCD

Cons:

* Expensive
* Blurry Images Outside Native Resolution
* Motion Blur on Fast Moving Images
* Washed Out Colors

I have been reading reviews of the latest high end LCD's and they do not mention anything about blurry images, motion blur or washed out colors. Expensive...that is for certain. That being said, do all LCD's have these problems or are some of the newer more expensive monitors resolving them?
Old 01-01-2005, 02:15 AM   #6 (permalink)
ID.10T

Send a message via AIM to ohGrFreak Send a message via Yahoo to ohGrFreak

my viewsonic is a few months old, 16 ms. plays Doom3 at highest res (for the LCD) with no ghosting, streaking, or whathaveyou. Those pros and cons are outdated.
Old 01-01-2005, 02:30 AM   #7 (permalink)
Super Techie

I have a Samsung Syncmaster 155T digital. I've been using it for a year now and it's great for everything else but gaming. Even with the current geforce fx 5200 with DVI out, still not good enough to play games. Normal application use is excellent. Super sharp. That's how good it is. When I played my first game on it, Unreal Tournament--dissapointed because it seemed kind of fuzzy. I use to have a ViewSonic CRT flat screen 17" and the images was really sharp. Same apply to all other games I play on it. Now on my LCD I play the same games, all fuzzy like. You can still play it without any problems but definitely stick with a high end CRT than an LCD unless you want to try the new high definition screen.
Old 01-01-2005, 09:18 AM   #8 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Anybody else have an LCD monitor without issues playing fast games like a first person shooter?
Old 01-01-2005, 09:25 AM   #9 (permalink)
PowerQuest / Opera

2005: LCD's still suck, CRT's rule!

Wait a couple of years.
Old 01-01-2005, 10:57 AM   #10 (permalink)
Junior Techie

The top LCD's don't suck but man are they expensive! I saw a top of the line Apple and Sony LCD which got top reviews in a PC mag but they cost $2,000!!!! Geesh!