New Modem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jorsoft

Fully Optimized
I just received this external modem from Newegg. It's a regular 56k modem, or so the page said, but upon connecting with it, it always seems to connect at 115.2 kbps! I've dialed up about 6 times since I got it and it always connects at this speed. Crazy that a sub $30 modem can connect at speeds approaching low-end DSL!

It is probably referring to the connection between the serial port and the modem, not the modem-to-ISP connection.

There is no way a 56k modem can connect at 115.2kbps. That is against FCC law. Thats a common mistake made, although it tells you you are connected at that, you really aren't connected at above what your phone line can handle. For instance, if you used to connect at 28.8, then you are still only connected at 28.8.

Hey, let him live with the delusion.

If it makes him happy...

hey, that happed to me all the time when i was on dialup. I had an internal modem though and it still said that. I dunno why. one time it even went up to 986.3k/s

Still a good modem, though! It'll have to do for a few months until I get DSL. I can still play World of Warcraft pretty nicely, however :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom