new mobo/ stop error message

Status
Not open for further replies.

drunk_buzzard

Beta member
I posted this on another forum but haven't solved the problem yet. Hopefully someone here has an idea.

I'm working on my friend's pc. We believe a power surge screwed up his machine. I replaced his power supply (no power) and it turned on but we just got a black screen. I replaced the motherboard with an ECS 741GX-M board. The computer started booting but then stopped before loading Windows XP with the following error:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. If this is the first time you have seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check for viruses on your computer.
Remove any newly installed hard-drives or hard-drive controllers
Check your hard drive to make sure its properly configured and terminated
Run CHK DISK/F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

Technical Information:

***STOP: 0x0000007B (0xf894d63c,0xc0000034,0x00000000,0x00000000)

I scanned the drive for viruses using my PC and it was fine. So I did a system restore on his PC using the E-Machine restore disks. Now the computer tries to boot but flashes that same error message above and keeps rebooting. I verified the Windows XP reinstall in my machine, and also tried my HD and I get the same error. I also tried the RAM from his machine in my pc and it works fine. I'm thinking maybe his processor was fried with the board, but I wasn't sure, and I don't want to buy a processor unless I'm sure that's the problem. Anyone have an idea?

E-Machine W1640
Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition
AMD Athlon™ XP processor 1600+ (1.400 GHz) with QuantiSpeed™ architecture
VIA KM 266
128 MB DDR (PC2100)
40 GB HDD 1
40x Max. CD-RW Drive; 3.5" 1.44MB FDD
Includes eMachines 15" eView™ 15w2 Monitor
(13.8" Viewable, 0.28mm dot pitch)
S3 ProSavage8 integrated (1 AGP slot available for upgrade)
56K ITU v.92 ready Fax/Modem

Take out the HDD and back it up, then format using a different PC.

The suck it and see.

This prob has nothing to do with the CPU or RAM, since if it were the CPU you would get absolutely nothing and the RAM would produce a beep error msg and foul up XP at a different stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom