New mobo/processor probs

Status
Not open for further replies.

sixfeetdeep

Baseband Member
Just upgraded to a AMD 64 2800+ and Chaintech VNF3-250 motherboard. Got it today and went to replace my old XP1700+ and MSI motherboard.

First unplugged everything from the back including power, grounded myself, unhooked everything attached to the board including RAM, IDE, PCI, AGP, Power, Fans, button controls etc. from the motherboard, and took it out. Installed the new processor/heatsink to the new board, attached it to the case, hooked up button/led lines, fans, processor fan, RAM, IDE cables, PCI/AGP cards, and lastly the power. Plug everything into the back, power last... Hit start button, board powers up, CD Drives power up, Hard Drive powers up, CPU fan goin, Case fans goin but no system check or BIOS options just black screen.

I'm a complete newb when it comes to building comps, i'm sure i forgot to do something, or have something plugged in backwards lol.

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas as to how i can get to the bios. Or at least boot from a CD. or something besides black screen, hope its not faulty equipment. Everything worked fine before just replaced CPU/motherboard.

Tryed hitting DEL/F8/ESC but no response.

Thanks in advance for any info.

SYSTEM SPEC:
AMD 64 2800+
Chaintech VNF3-250 motherboard
1GB PC2700 RAM
40GB HardDrive
GeForce 4 MX-440 64MB
TDK CD +/- RW
500 Watt PSU

Forgot to mention i had Windows XP Pro installed on hard drive, but am going to do a fresh format anyway so ...

im not sure but i THINK u may have a faulty board... or perhaps it is ur video card... try to get ur board replaced for a new one and if that doesnt work then try to get ur hands on another video card...

but just in case try to check all the connections to make sure that they ARE in right and the video card n ram n everything is pushed in and plugged in properly... if that doesnt doo it then post back and we'll go from there

so i read the basic hardware troubleshooting post at the top and tried to boot with just keyboard, processor, 2 512 RAM, video card and nothing.

Bad board? or should try w/o processor?

u have the book to your motherbourd, so if anything was backward, it would probably stick out at ya after looking threw the book..

maybe u should(if u already didnt) try taking your ram back out, and re-seating them.. make shur there all the way in.

it should boot into bios automaticly in order to set up .Go back over all your connections make sure the CPU fan is plugged in.

Tried everything i could think of, took everything out and re-installed it. Still nothing.. all power works fine but no beeps or bios load.

So i put my old board and processor back in and everything works fine so i know it has to be either the motherboard or processor.

Thanks for the info guys sending in for a replacement now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom