New MoBo + Processor = intermittent freezes

Status
Not open for further replies.

lokivn

Baseband Member
Hey guys, installed a new gigabyte 7nf-rz and AMD Athlon XP 2200+ a few weeks ago as well as the extisting Radeon 9600 Pro, 768 pc2700 ram.

lately my computer has been intermittently freezing, usually as i'm moving a webpage or if i open the start menu and as the graphic is coming up it freezes (i am usually moving the mouse then)

i think if i leave it on for an extended time period now it'll freeze anywhere from 10 to 4+ hours into the session and need a reboot. the freeze is instant and total, i first noticed it when playing the new Sid Meier game Pirates! but it seems to have gradually creeped out. it'll now freeze while i'm not even at it (but music will suddenly cut off and it's frozen on the same screen)

also in another odd occurence, i was having trouble with the IDE drives registering cd/dvd + hard drive ... it was being finicky, i'd have to unplug and replug it until it registered it which it finally did. i took everything apart and put it all back together to make sure it was all firm on the motherboard and they registered the first time. i don't know if it's related.

does it freezes after some time, or as well when system is warm/cold?

and also. have you upgraded the BIOS ?

may be ur RAM is showing problems. check by upgrading BIOS, it may help.

well once it started doing the long beeps indicating a memory problem after i changed some bios. I took out one memory stick and it worked then put the it back in and the system was fine again.

does it matter that one stick appears to be running at a different frequency? and do i have this underclocked, it's pc2700 ....

Memory SPD
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DIMM #2

General
Memory type DDR-SDRAM
Manufacturer (ID) (0000000000000000)
Size 512 MBytes
Max bandwidth PC2700 (166 MHz)
Part number
Manufacturing date Week 00/Year 00

Attributes
Number of banks 2
Data width 64 bits
Correction None
Registered no
Buffered no

Timings table
Frequency (MHz) 133 166
CAS# 2.0 2.5
RAS# to CAS# delay 3 3
RAS# Precharge 3 3
TRAS# 6 7

DIMM #3

General
Memory type DDR-SDRAM
Manufacturer (ID) Corsair (7F7F9E0000000000)
Size 256 MBytes
Max bandwidth PC2700 (166 MHz)
Part number CM64SD256-2700CX2
Manufacturing date Week 00/Year 00

Attributes
Number of banks 1
Data width 64 bits
Correction None
Registered no
Buffered no

Timings table
Frequency (MHz) 166 166
CAS# 2.0 2.5
RAS# to CAS# delay 3 3
RAS# Precharge 3 3
TRAS# 7 7

well upgrading the drivers hasn't helped, should i flash the BIOS? i'm not even sure what that is =\

used @bios to upgrade them, F4 now instead of F3 ..... and it just froze after 15-20 minutes of being active. the freezes are completely random and literally freeze it without cursor/any movement .... the screen doesn't go black or blue or anything, just completely still.

430w I think, I didn't have any trouble with it before... but maybe moving from a 1500+ to 2200+ was too much strain?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom