Status
Not open for further replies.

sayaprayer

In Runtime
I bought this Motherboard:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-130-467&depa=0

And this CPU:
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=19-116-171&DEPA=0

I'm fairly sure they are compatable. I'm installing them into an existing system. But I'm gonna reformat everything and just start from scratch. Is there anything I need to be aware of when installing a new CPU? I've never installed a CPU before. Should I put the mobo inside the case before I put the CPU in? I plan to just connect the PSU, CPU, Mobo, RAM, and Video card just to make sure everything works first, after that I'll connect the IDE drives. Any advice will be greatly appriciated! :D

But I'm gonna reformat everything and just start from scratch.
So you know for the future....you are ALWAYS supposed to format when replacing a major hardware component such as a motherboard and sometimes VideoCard depending....but anywho....yeah if you're switching out motherboards ALWAYS fresh install otherwise you'll get nothing but problems.

Yes they are compatible, both socket 478 and the CPU is new enough (obviously)...anyway..the best way to do it is keep the motherboard OUT.....put on your CPU and Heatsink and you can put the RAM in too at this point if you want, because RAM is easy....but I suggest you put in the CPU and apply the heatsink while it's not in the case, like right after you actually receive the board....it'll make it much easier to get the heatsink on straight, without much fidgeting, and possible better chances of not stabbing the board with a screw driver :D

Putting the mobo in a case with everything still in it can prove to be a b!tch so have fun with that. I've done it two or 3 times now because I'm lazy like that...and have had no consequences but if it was a customers computer they probably woulda froze up at the way I was handling the board :D

I say...personally.....just put on the CPU and heatsink outside the case....put in the mobo..and just plug everything in...be confident in your skills and the computer will boot :D

Don't forget to apply Thermal Compound if you have it....but if you plan on using the heatsink that you have now...and it's a stock heatsink....then it'll have a thermal pad on it..and you DO NOT want to put thermal compound on a processor with a heatsink that already has a thermal pad on it...you can remove the pad with a plastic credit card and some rubbing alcohol...try not to scratch the surface...THEN apply some good compound for better cooling.

Installing the CPU is easy. Just make sure you line up the little indicators that they put on there for a reason...a little corner with a golden triangle points to an arrow that's in the plastic of the socket...otherwise just match up the pin alignment..you'll feel a little resistance pushing the lever back down but that's normal. The CPU should just drop right into place so if you're having to force it into the socket you're doing something wrong. Hope this helps :D

Thanks Nubius, you've been very helpful as always ;) Ill be posting back if something goes wrong (or ok for that matter) lol

yeah lol think more along the lines of 'I'll post when its booted up' not when 'something goes wrong ' lol :D

Glad to help

Ok got it running this time around. I have display finally ;) Now I need to reformat my hard drive and reinstall windows xp. Do I need to reformat my hard drive on a different computer? Or can I do it from this one with the windows xp CD?

Also when I start it up I get a few beeps and it says "CMOS/GPNV Checksum Bad"

The best way to reformat your hard drive is to find out if the manufacturer of your drive has a file you can down load and install on a floppy that reformats your drive. When i do my yearly reformat, i delete the primary partition using fdisk out side of windows, then I use the floppy to format from the manufacturer. Then windows install on it. I prefer this way to the wodows format.

I dont think when installing windows it will format the drive unless you have deleted the partition and have not done a format after creating the partition.

Does that help?

I have an 80gig Seagate HDD that I want to reformat. I didn't see any reformat utility on their site. Would any HDD utility work?

Well I got everything going, I got the windows xp cd started. But then it froze. So I shut it off and now it won't power up at all. >< I got the power running again, now its just a matter of getting windows to install.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom