New mobo causeing system to continually reset or fail to start windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ebolaosu

Baseband Member
I just recently purchased and installed a DFI NFII Ultra Infinity mobo into my athlon xp 1900 system. Before that I had a soyo dragon plus mobo. The soyo got fried and I replaced it. I ONLY replaced the mobo.

The first time i started up the new mobo I got the error: "cpu has changed , resetting cpu information in CMOS." Yes, it was bad grammer in the real message too.

I went into the bios and tried to figure out what it meant, but I was unable to find anything. After I exited the bios, it reset and the error didn't reappear. However, after it went through it's boot up routine, it got to the windows splash screen for an instant, flashed a blue screen with text for an instant, and reset. It did this 4 or 5 times before I switched it off and would have probably done it indefinately.

I have since figured that I can reset the cmos and get the error message back for the next start.

At some point in my attempts to identify the problem (changing boot order, booting to cd, repairing the win xp install), the computer has started to do the drive boot order and as soon as it gets to the hd with winxp on it, it says :
error loading the operating system." Also, it has started a constant and annoying ticking through the case speaker on start that will continue until I hit a key on the keyboard.

The only new thing on this system is the mobo. everything else was connected to the soyo and was working fine. All the drives and memory are detected during the boot sequence.

Is this a DFI issue, a new mobo issue, what?

Can anyone help?

More:

I just tested whether the IDE cable was bad and I removed the cdrom and the floppy. It still gives the error loading the os message.

I reset the CMOS and I got a different error along with the original bad grammer error:
CMOS checksum error - defaults loaded.

WTF?

Can anyone help?

If that board has the KT400A chipset, I called DFI tech support and they said they have had so many problems with those boards, THEY DON'T SUPPORT THEM ANYMORE!!!!!!!!

If you are getting a missing OS message it could mean that your bootsector has been damaged.
You can fix this by going into the repair console when booting fro the XP cd.
use help to guide you
fixmbr
fixboot
etc...

Another update:

I attempted to do a reinstall of WinXP. Before, I only attempted a repair.

I booted to cd and went through all the menus and selected reinstall. setup continued through the process of deleting the previous install and then restarted. Before restarting it says setup will continue on the reboot. However, on the reboot, the computer booted to the cd and went to the initial setup menu. I went through the same initial phase of setup about 4 times before I gave up.

So I removed the Hard drive and put in another. I booted to cd and went through the initial steps, only on this hard drive I reformated it under setup. When it rebooted, setup actually started back up and gave me the windows install screen where it tells you how many mins are left in the install. After about 3 mins of the setup, It quit to a blue screen that said in effect:

You suck, I hate you, I quit.

No, it said that there was a problem and setup stopped to protect the computer. It said that it was caused by new hardware or software.
it then said tech: followed by some really long error addresses, if anyone is interested, i can post them.

it then said it was going to dump the physical memory and then it dumped it.

To me, this implies something wrong with the board. Could I have installed it wrong? Or should I pack it up and ship it back?

I have yet to take it out of the case to see if it is grounded or not. To test if it is ground, what should I place it on? metal, rubber, foam, what?

Thanks in advance.

Once windows copies the setup files you dont want to boot to the cd anymore, it copies them to you hard disk and writes a master boot record. So after you get done with the cd setup program, just dont boot to it and you'll be in the second part of setup.

Right, I forgot to say that on the first hardrive after it kept cycling to the cd, I forced it to the hard drive and i got the same, error loading the OS message. That was when I put in the other hard disk. The new hard disk did load to it to continue setup, but then stopped with the blue screen. I tried that twice. It is insistent that something is installed wrong or something.

Oh, and I did fix the master boot record and other related on both disks. That had no change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom