new install of xp - cdrom wont autoplay some cds

Status
Not open for further replies.

espeed

In Runtime
I have reinstalled winxp home off a clean format and for some reason now my cd-rom wont bring up the autoplay screen which asks you what action you want to take with the cd (eg. view the contents, play in media player etc), however i can explore the contents of the cd no problem in explorer. Game cd's seem to be ok, they autorun with out a problem, however cds which i have created through burning seem to be the problem here. ive never had this before. My flash disk has the same problem, everynow and then when i plug it in to my usb port it wont bring up that selection screen.

One thing about me is i have always ran my xp installations on a FAT32 file system, however for this installation I am running off NTFS. Is there a certain feature about NTFS that i dont know about?

Any help would be great, thanks.

P.S. I have not fiddled with any of the default settings in properties of the cdrom drive. The autoplay tab in the properties is set to "Prompt me each time to choose an action"

1. In Windows, click Start->Run
2. Type in: regedit
3. Click OK.
4. Double-click HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
5. Double-click SYSTEM
6. Double-click CurrentControlSet
7. Double-click Services
8. Click once on Cdrom
9. On the right-side pane, look at the item "Autorun". You will know if your computer's autorun was indeed turned off by seeing if the value is a zero (meaning it is turned off). If the value is zero, double-click the item "Autorun" and type 1 for its value to turn autoplay on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom