New Home Wireless Network - HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vellamint

Baseband Member
I have a problem with my second computer for the wireless network I am attempting to install.

Main computer hooked up to router fine.....2nd computer won't. I have spent the entire day attempting to get this darn thing going and have only succeeded in having to reformat computer #2 due to disabling a Com port. I did this because I think there is a hardware conflict in IRQ? The wireless card is sharing with audio and I cannot switch the PCI slot it is in because whenever I switch it, it interferes with the monitor turning on!!!! I have 3 empty slots but can't use them. Has anyone heard of this happening or is it my old computer just giving me one last dig before I throw it in the trash.

I only this 2nd computer to surf the net...no gaming, nothing...

Help.

What operating system are you using for the second computer? What brand of wireless card are you using? Also, what kind (make/model #) of wireless gateway/router are you using?

-Michael

Xp on the main computer....98 on the 2nd. Linksys Wireless-G PCI Adapter WMP54G in both machines and Linksys Wireless-B Broadband Router BEFW11S4.

Thank you.

Ok, so the Win98 machine recognizes the card, right?
You might have to run the card setup CD that came with the card for the 98 pc. XP does a pretty good job at auto-configuring on it's own. If you have run the CD to no avail, then do the following:
From XP machine open Start > Run and type "cmd" and hit enter.
Type in "ipconfig" and hit enter....write down the IP address and gateway. Do the same for the 98 machine except type "command" instead of "cmd". Right down the same information. Can you post the items you wrote down?

-Michael

Okay - I was just attempting to get the ip address on the 2nd machine myself and you sure saved me a lot of pain in the butt!!!

Anyway the first machine (XP):

Ethernet Adapter Local Area Connection
Connection-specific DNS Suffix 3ComC
IP Address
Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway

Eternet Adapter Wireless Network Connection

Exactly the same except
IP Address 192.168.1.101

Now machine #2 - Has nothing.....what steps do I take to manually input in the fields....winipcfg? Can't find a way to do it in there and it also says it is a PPP adapter which I dont think is right but I also cant change.

Ok, right click Network Neighborhood and goto Properties.
I am going to assume a little here but you only need:
Client for Microsoft Networks
The Linksys wireless adapter
and Internet protocol (TCP/IP)
Make sure that the TCP/IP has the device name associated with it.
Remove everything else.
Win98 will require you to reboot after this.
After rebooting, goto the "command" prompt again and type ipconfig
Should show you your IP address. The PPP is the wrong device. This is a Point to Point Protocal that you will not be using.
If your address is 0.0.0.0 then type "ipconfig /renew_all".
Should give you a new address from your DHCP server which is your router.

-Michael

The TCP/IP has NO device name associated with it.....I have removed everything else and am rebooting.

Ok, In the end you should have just the 3. The service: Clinet for Microsoft Networks, The Adapter: Wireless Device, and the protocol: TCP/IP

Have them and did command ipconfig and renew all and it is still showing 0000's.

This is driving me nuts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom