New HD installed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see the boot flag is still on the new drive. That could very well be a issue. But can be fixed with the XP CD. At this point i would suggest a restart. If XP doesnt come up, which i suspect it wont cause of where the boot flag is, put the XP CD in and go to the Recovery Console.

Load up the XP CD till you get to the first set of options. There you will see Press "R" to get to the Recovery Console. Choose that. When you get in you will be prompted to select you XP install. Should be opton 1. Type in 1 and enter. It may ask for your password if you set one up.

From there after you get to the C:\ prompt use these commands:

fixboot
fixmbr

Then restart. That should get you back into XP. From there if you are going to install Vista restart with the Vistqa DVD in and go for that install. If i am seeing this correctly you have Vista already installed get EasyBCD from NeoSmart.net and install it. will require .NET 2.0 to be installed.

From there add a entry for Vista.

Windows Vista - NeoSmart Technologies Wiki

Detailed instructions there if needed.

Mak, I just created the 2 partitions and renamed them XP Pro and Vista. The partitions are blank with nothing on them as you can see by the drives capacity and free space. Sorry for the confusion.

thx

No that is my bad. I never looked at that part.

So you are donig all the installs fresh then?

Yes, fresh installs of both XP Pro and vista. Can I just delete the parttions and re-create them without checking off MBR this time and then just do a clean install of XP Pro on it's own partition and with vista on it's own patition?

thx

Since you are going to do fresh installs that wont matter now. As the boot flag will be reassigned when you install XP/Vista.

So at this point just start off with the new XP install. You will be good to go.

Will my win 7 be messed up that is installed on its own 70GB HD? If I keep that installed and then install XP and then Vista?

thx

No it will not be affected at all. You will have to install EasyBCD in Vista and add a entry for Win7 after you get XP/Vista installed. But that can be worried about at that point.

Basically it will be the same steps as i listed above with that link. It is almost exactly the same except for the name.

Yes they call me the Windows Geek for some reason. ;)

I like the avatar as well. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom