New HD installed

Status
Not open for further replies.

chara33

Daemon Poster
I just physically installed my new 500GB HD. When I go into disk management, it says I must initialize the disk with "use the following partition style for the selected disks" with "master boot record" checked off" do I just hit OK at this point and let it do its thing? If not, what should I do?

After that do I format it?

thx

Initialize the drive, and format it as NTFS, with MBR off if I remember correctly.

Can someone verify this for me?

Also, let me start off by saying I already have another HD in this rig with win 7 on it. Another thing if I want to partition off 2 drives off of new HD do I leave MBR checked off or not checked off on both?

thx

Ahh okay that is what you mean by MVR being ticked off.

Yes you will want the MBR ticked off. If you leave it on this drive will then become the boot drive but not have the boot info and will cause the system not to boot.

So do not tick the MBR option and format it to NTFS.

Thx for answering me MAk, So do I just delete the partitions i created with MBR ticked off and re-create them this time with them un-ticked off?

thx

Post a screen shot of your disk management screen. That will give me a better idea of what is going on.

Right click on the Vista Drive and make that they System Active Drive. Hopefully that will stop the new partition from being the boot partition and prevent you from booting.

It now looks like this Mak

Does it look like the way you wanted it to? If it does, is it Okay to now boot from cd and load XP first and when that is done, load vista on the other partition?

Also, will I need to do anything with easybcd? If so, what do I need to do?

You guys are a great resource.

thx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom